TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Seller Battles eBay to Recover Store Name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Check this out, everyone.  Something new?

Toyranch

Wow.  New shit coming from the camp every day!
[quote author=stardust link=topic=2527.msg13325#msg13325 date=1146504740]

Toyranch

Wow.  New wombat poo poo coming from the camp every day!
[/quote]

I thought a store name and/or ID was open season after 30 days.  ???
It's always been understood that someone cannot open a *store* under somebody else's ID.  Ebay has always reserved the *sanctity* of the ID/StoreName combo.

Now, it's my understanding that a NARU'd or Unregistered ID can now be taken by someone else, I guess. Altho even that's been shown to be debatable in the past....
Toooooo many dorky rules to keep up with! 

It would make sense that there would be a rule that a person could NOT open a store under the same ID as another... but then this is eBay we are talking about.

Xpp-
I'm pretttttty sure you would rather not see my asp.  However, if you provided unlimited amounts of alcohol, you would have no choice.

Toyranch

[/quote]

Hmmm, this sounds vaguely familiar to what happened to me but in reverse. There was a glitch from 2001-early 2003  that allowed people to register new user IDs that were the same as existing eBay Store names.

If someone registered a new user ID that was the same as your existing store name it prevented you from editing your store...naturally people's competitors used this glitch to cause their competition misery.

When I opened my store in 2001 it was called 'Bargain Bloodhound' but my userID was tswitze.  One of my competitors registered the userID bargainbloodhound in Oct 2002 (they never used the ID) which prevented me from editing my store.  Stores Team was absolutely no help and told me there was nothing they could do and I would have to change my store name if I wanted to edit it.  So I was forced to change my store name (hence the current name with the 3rd word 'collectibles') so I could edit my store again (and to prevent the problem from happening again I changed my user ID at the same time to the current lengthy bbhc.)

4 years later I'm still annoyed I had to change my store name.

----------
As I was typing this I noticed that the user ID bargainbloodhound was available again so I just grabbed it for one of my posting IDs Smile
[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=2527.msg13335#msg13335 date=1146513485]

Toyranch

[/quote]

Hmmm, this sounds vaguely familiar to what happened to me but in reverse. There was a glitch from 2001-early 2003  that allowed people to register new user IDs that were the same as existing eBay Store names.

If someone registered a new user ID that was the same as your existing store name it prevented you from editing your store...naturally people's competitors used this glitch to cause their competition misery.

When I opened my store in 2001 it was called 'Bargain Bloodhound' but my userID was tswitze.  One of my competitors registered the userID bargainbloodhound in Oct 2002 (they never used the ID) which prevented me from editing my store.  Stores Team was absolutely no help and told me there was nothing they could do and I would have to change my store name if I wanted to edit it.  So I was forced to change my store name (hence the current name with the 3rd word 'collectibles') so I could edit my store again (and to prevent the problem from happening again I changed my user ID at the same time to the current lengthy bbhc.)

4 years later I'm still annoyed I had to change my store name.

----------
As I was typing this I noticed that the user ID bargainbloodhound was available again so I just grabbed it for one of my posting IDs Smile
[/quote]

Holy crap. Absolutely ridiculous. So that means--let's say my user ID is  buttmonkey. If another dude, with a user ID johnsmith decides to open the new ButtMonkey ebay store, I cannot open a store named "buttmonkey."

Brilliant!

Thanks a lot, buttmonkeys!
bargainbloodhound Wrote:As I was typing this I noticed that the user ID bargainbloodhound was available again so I just grabbed it for one of my posting IDs 

without telling me  :Smile
Shoot me, I split a topic  :twistedevil: Laughing7

Auctionbytes has an article on this topic today:

Quote:Seller Battles eBay to Recover Store Name

Long time eBay seller Bobby Beeman uncovered a flaw in an eBay Stores naming policy that allowed another user open a Store under the same name as Beeman's User ID. But had to battle eBay before he could reopen his Store under his own name.

Beeman registered the eBay User ID Toyranch over nine years ago and has been using the site to sell collectible toys ever since. Recently, Beeman attempted to reopen his eBay Store called Toyranch, which he had temporarily closed last fall.

When he found he could not reopen his eBay Store, he called eBay's customer service department for help. He said the customer service representative told him he could not name his store Toyranch, because another seller had opened a Store called Toy Ranch (with a space in the name). When Beeman typed in http://stores.ebay.com/toyranch, it resolved to http://stores.ebay.com/toy-ranch - the eBay Store belonging to the other seller. (The spaces in a Store name show up as hyphens in the URLs.)

Beeman said he called eBay Stores customer service a second time for help in reopening his Store using his eBay User ID, but said the representative hung up on him when he asked to speak to her supervisor.

full article: http://auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y06/m05/i10/s02

I read where people feel Ina is an eBay cheerleader.  Articles where she exposes the morons eBay employs make me believe differently.  What is the scoop? 
I think she was at one time but may have
since put her pom poms down... at least for the moment.

auctionbytesme was and still may be full of ebay evangelist too.
Maybe not as many as when I was posting.
There was also a lieworld presence there as well
and I'm convinced there was a lieworld presencs at FAS too.

They even tried to infiltrate ppsux.com and PSU as well.  Wave
Pages: 1 2