TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: cPanel or vDeck?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Which is preferable? -- or is there any difference at all.... 

I use ipowerweb to host my pix on.  My current 'older' hosting plan uses cPanel for the control panel (which I've never really used for much of any reason.)  Tongue3  I'm thinking I'll upgrade to their new servers (same price, more space and features), but it uses vDeck for the control panel.

Who has what experience with each, and which do you think is better, and why?  Please respond in control-panels-for-dummies-beginners language...  Smile

Also, just for my information, if you go to their web site www.ipowerweb.com, it shouts that the user can "Host 6 Domains in 1".  What do you think this possibly means?  (Features claims 100 subdomains.)  Smile

As always, thank you for your valuable time and intelligent answers....... 
:Smile
[quote author=stardust link=topic=3720.msg13826#msg13826 date=1147414415]
Also, just for my information, if you go to their web site www.ipowerweb.com, it shouts that the user can "Host 6 Domains in 1".  What do you think this possibly means?  (Features claims 100 subdomains.)  Smile

[/quote]

Uhhhhh . . . I know this part. Smile

What they mean is that you will get one control panel with your account. 
www.youraccount.com

You will have the ability to add up to 100 subdomains to your domain.

www.subdomain1.youraccount.com
www.subdomain2.youraccount.com etc.

You will have the ability to designate up to 5 of those subdomains as add on domains so www.subdomain1.com can be added to your account as a second domain.  It will live in www.subdomain1.youraccount.com but folks can access it at www.subdomain1.com

You will still be subject to the same total bandwidth and space restrictions, regardless of how many subdomains or add on domains you have.

(This is very easy to do in cPanel.  I have never used the other control panel, but I can't image it being any more difficult.)
Thanks, Beth!  You explained it well!
Quote: cPanel or vDeck?

iPowerWeb and its resellers are the only ones using vDeck.  I don't know much about it except I think it only runs on Winblows servers which are unreliable.  The consensus in the Web hosting forums is cPanel has more features. cPanel runs on Unix and Linux. You're site is hosted on a Unix server now-stay with Unix or Linux to avoid downtime.
Thanks, Regic.  I know from reading on this board that Linux is better than Windows.  Looks like ipowerweb has two different plans, Windows being one of them.  I'll verify that.

Looks like the "6 in 1" will serve me very well.  However, I will need more *space*, as my present plan is only for 500mb, and I've already used up 1/4 of that with pix storage.

I'll look into other hosts as well.
Quote:cPanel or vDeck?

Email Ray and ask.  He has 5 days experience with vDeck!  Happy001  :blinkie: :blinkie: :blinkie:

(sorry couldn't resist...but he does have 5 days experience with it and it was at ipowerweb  :twistedevil: )

Wagglepop and eBay are 2 examples of Windows servers in action, need I say more.

I'd probably pick cPanel over vDeck for a control panel because A. it has more features and B. if you ever change hosts it is widely used and you won't have to learn to use a new control panel like you would if you chose ipowerweb's vDeck.

Wise advice, bbear.  Smile
I'm starting to get confused  Tongue3 which is what happens when I try to actually think too much...

Can each add-on domain be a complete website all on its own? -- with its own public index.html (home) page, shopping cart, database, etc?  (www.add-ondomain.com)  IOW, might I have to install 6 shopping carts?

How are subdomains treated likewise?  (www.subdomain.maindomain.com)  Can/does each subdomain have its own home page and cart?

If you buy a domain name with registrar A, and *park* it with hostB -- who provides the parked page that is supposedly included? -- A or B?

Which is most preferable for SEO and spiderbots?  subdomains or add-on domains?

IOW, STARDUST SKIES GALLERY(IES) is the main domain name.  Should I consider
    www.originalpaintings.stardustskiesgallery.com
    www.prints.stardustskiesgallery.com
    www.pictureframes.stardustskiesgallery.com
    www.estatejunk.stardustskiesgallery.com 
OR should it be
    www.originalpaintings.com
    www.prints.com
    www.pictureframes.com
    www.estatejunk.com

Angel1  Cmon, now, no laughing or banging head against walls at my numptiness.....
Each add on domain is it's own little kingdom.  (Athough you'll be able to access it either way:  www.estatejunk.com and www.estatejunk.startdustskiesgallery.com will take you to the same place.)

When you install a shopping cart, you have to install it to a domain.  I am sure there are ways to have one central cart cover all of the add on domains by linking them all to one database and payment area, but that's WAY beyond my level of knowledge.  If you install one of the carts via fantastico, though, you have to pick a domain: it can be your main domain or one of the add ons or one of the subdomains.    (I have no clue about the SEO question.)    If you install it on an add on domain, you can still access it via the subdomain - but I don't think it works the other way around (because I goofed on this once!)