TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Furry 4-legged Cat loses Domain Name Dispute with Investment Bank
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Smile

Quote:A cat has lost its bid to retain a controversial domain name after a multinational investment bank took it to the National Arbitration Forum.

Baroness Penelope Cat of Nash DCB, who is listed as the owner of mymorganstanleyplatinum.com and was given some assistance in the case by Michael Woods, lost control of the domain to Morgan Stanley.

A key part of the case rested on whether or not Baroness Penelope was truly the owner of the domain...

full article: http://www.out-law.com/page-6973

From the ruling:

Quote:Respondent maintains that it is a cat, that is, a well-known carnivorous quadruped which has long been domesticated.  However, it is equally well-known that the common cat, whose scientific name is Felis domesticus, cannot speak or read or write.  Thus, a common cat could not have submitted the Response (or even have registered the disputed domain name).  Therefore, either Respondent is a different species of cat, such as the one that stars in the motion picture “Cat From Outer Space,” or Respondent’s assertion regarding its being a cat is incorrect.

If Respondent is in fact a cat from outer space, then it should have so indicated in its reply, in order to avoid unnecessary perplexity by the Panel.  Further, it should have explained why a cat from outer space would allow Mr. Woods to use the disputed domain name.  In the absence of such an explanation, the Panel must conclude that, if Respondent is a cat from outer space, then it may have something to hide, and this is indicative of bad faith behavior.

On the other hand, if Respondent’s assertion regarding its being a cat is incorrect, then Respondent has undoubtedly attempted to mislead this Panel and has provided incorrect WHOIS information.  Such behavior is indicative of bad faith...

full ruling: http://www.arb-forum.com/domains/decisions/671304.htm

Happy001
Quote:If Respondent is in fact a cat from outer space, then it should have so indicated in its reply, in order to avoid unnecessary perplexity by the Panel.

:lol14n: :lol16n:
Quote:A key part of the case rested on whether or not Baroness Penelope was truly the owner of the domain.
The good Barroness should have had better representation.

There are many instances of cats (dogs, horses, hamsters) having trust funds. Their interests are represented by an adult human, in the same way that a child is represented by a guardian.

A cat is more a real entity than a corporation.

Baroness Penelope Cat Meow of Nash DCB got $crewed.

Hmmmmm ... the domain eBay.com is owned by a corporation.
Here kitty kitty  ---  Would you like some nice domain name???

Meow and hello,
This is Baroness Penelope Cat of Nash DCB, Ashbed Barn, Boraston Track, Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire, Great Britian. I am writing to you to clear up some missunderstandings. I am a proper English cat, not a "common cat" as the court claimed and I certainly have not been been domesticated.

My domain name, of which I was proud, was mymorganstanleyplatinum.com . I still get choked up about it when I see the "my" part. My human servant, Michael Woods, filed the registration but that domain was mine! My human used my domain to teach other humans how dumb humans are, an entirely appropriate use for the domain IMAO.

The unmitigated gall of them to base their entire case on the "fact" that I am not a cat! Don't they have any respect for their superiors?

Enough! I have important matters to attend to. But be aware you have not heard the last of me, or more directly of my son, Baron Google of Nash, Esq.

Baroness Penelope Cat
Quote:Their interests are represented by an adult human, in the same way that a child is represented by a guardian.

Yeah, but in this case the cat was the human's guardian.  Happy001