TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Meg Explains Auctions: the tail-ends of the Bell Curve the used, the overstocked
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
FT interviews Megan Whitman.

Auctions explained, eBay Express born:

Quote:So as we looked in our market, we said, “Hey, we’ve done a great job connecting buyers and sellers in an auction format”, in what we call the tail-ends of the Bell Curve; the used, the overstocked. But as we looked in the market, increasingly there were new in-season products showing up on eBay.

At first I was sort of stunned because eBay, core eBay isn’t actually optimized for new in-season. It’s an auction format, and the way most people sort once they find the list of things they’re interested in is by ending first or highest price. So we talked to our users. And at eBay, which has been true from 1998, our users are our best R&D lab.

And so we watched what they were doing, and we talked to our top buyers and they said, “You know, I would buy more on eBay. I love eBay. I would buy more if there was a new in-season, fixed price, shopping cart, kind of a traditional ecommerce opportunity on eBay because I love eBay”. So hence, the genesis of eBay Express...

full article: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/f3ae81f8-fef8-11...e2340.html
Quote:we talked to our top buyers and they said, “You know, I would buy more on eBay. I love eBay.  Love4 I would buy more if there was a new in-season, fixed price, shopping cart, kind of a traditional ecommerce opportunity on eBay because I love eBay  Love4 ”. So hence, the genesis of eBay Express...”.

Happy001
Interesting interview.  Sorta puts everything into perspective for ebay sellers. 

Within the infamous bell curve, Store owners must have the dubious honor of continually being in the position of The Clapper...  Big Grin
I'm GOING to GO Ahead and SAY IT.

If YOUR STUPID ENOUGH TO KEEP BUYING INTO THE eBay MANTRA.

Well never mind.... Just STAY there.  :Smile
Quote:Within the infamous bell curve, Store owners must have the dubious honor of continually being in the position of The Clapper...  Cheesy

Sign10
Meg said:

Quote:possibly through eBay Express where we create a venue that bigger retailers I think will find attractive.

Well, there you go! All the sellers who think Express will save the day can compete one on one with the biggest retailers.

Ebay is shutting out the little guy and most of those little guys don't even see it.

Ms. Meg won't get any more fees from me. I shut down my store. And she can Bite Me.
Quote:Ms. Meg won't get any more fees from me. I shut down my store. And she can Bite Me.

You go girl!!! Thumbsup
Thats funny. I always thought the ebay bell curve had actual dumpster garbage on one end, broken junk on the other, and fakes and counterfeits in the middle.