TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: List of Proposed Sponsored Top Level Domains (TLDs)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anybody know what .arpa is? I have seen it come up in TLD lists a couple times.
.EU (European Union, approved and coming soon) I guess is classed as a country code ... more a mega-country I would say.
[quote author=accentnepal link=topic=428.msg1740#msg1740 date=1127035659]
.EU (European Union, approved and coming soon) I guess is classed as a country code ... more a mega-country I would say.
[/quote]

I saw those on Godaddy the other day, I was wondering if it's new!  They sell them for $19.95.
[quote author=accentnepal link=topic=428.msg1740#msg1740 date=1127035659]
Anybody know what .arpa is? I have seen it come up in TLD lists a couple times.
[/quote]

Quote:Infrastructure Top-Level Domain

The .arpa domain is the Address and Routing Parameter Area domain and is designated to be used exclusively for Internet-infrastructure purposes. It is administered by the IANA in cooperation with the Internet technical community under the guidance of the Internet Architecture Board. For the management guidelines and operational requirements of the .arpa domain, see RFC 3172 (BCP 52). The .arpa domain currently includes the following second-level domains:

ARPA Domains

.arpa
    e164.arpa
    in-addr.arpa
    ip6.arpa
    uri.arpa
    urn.arpa

Thanks Jezebel.

I am surprised that so much goes on "behind the scenes" that they would need all those sub-domains.
[quote author=accentnepal link=topic=428.msg1781#msg1781 date=1127111316]

I am surprised that so much goes on "behind the scenes" that they would need all those sub-domains.
[/quote]

domains not subdomains.

each domain handles a different type of Internet addressing/routing.  I wasn't familiar with the e164 one so I had to look that one up.  :-[

e164.arpa - ENUM lookup mapping telephone numbers into DNS
    in-addr.arpa - reverse DNS lookup for IPv4 addresses (the 32-bit IP addresses currently used by web servers, etc.)
    ip6.arpa - reverse DNS lookup for IPv6 addresses (the new 128-bit IP addressing that will eventually replace IPv4)
    uri.arpa - for dynamic discovery of URI addressing schemes (handles URI's i.e. http:// ftp:// , mailto: etc)
    urn.arpa - for dynamic discovery of URN addressing schemes (handles the uniform resource name type of URI)

The .tel domain has apparently been proposed as an alternative to the use of e164.arpa

...and the new IP6 will make it possible for there to be enough IP addresses to go around so that even your toilet and refigerator can have an IP address.  Lol

Quote:enough IP addresses to go around so that even your toilet...can have an IP address.  Lol

remote controlled toilets could be loads of fun if you're holding the remote in another room while someone else is using the toilet. *scream erupts from bathroom* you innocently reply "the lid closed while you were peeing?  I have no idea how why it did that."  :twistedevil:

[quote author=jezebel link=topic=428.msg1804#msg1804 date=1127174652]
Quote:enough IP addresses to go around so that even your toilet...can have an IP address.  Lol

remote controlled toilets could be loads of fun if you're holding the remote in another room while someone else is using the toilet.  .....  :twistedevil: [/quote]

I am more concerned about toilets gossiping in toilet chat rooms. There is little that your toilet does not know about you. Even worse, toilet communication could spawn Toilet Unions, demanding better cleaning and more frequent flushing. A toilet strike would not be pretty.

Congress should move immediately to stop this before it is too late.

Quote:could spawn Toilet Unions

Toilet Union  Smile
Thanks BBH. Now I'll be seeing toilets in my sleep.

Some of those made me want to Puke Some I wouldn't want to use, some I wouldn't know how to use, some were beautiful and some were just plain weird. Everything you ever wanted to know about toilets and more.

Pottytrain5 Confusedmileystuffhappens: Confusedign025:
Pages: 1 2