TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Site Advisor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I'm thoroughly bummed.  I have been using SiteAdvisor for many moons, now, since it was mentioned somewhere here on this forum.  Loved it.  A really great product.

Well, apparently McAfee recently purchased it, and it was 'downloaded and installed' as a FireFox update this evening.  Don't really care who owns it, but they've changed things.  When I go to *enlarge* a picture on any website, their toopid green button appears at the bottom of the enlarged picture -- RIGHT IN THE FRIGGIN MIDDLE OF EVERY WEB PAGE !!!

I am not amused.  Why can't they just keep their silly SiteAdvisor button at the bottom of the browser where it belongs -- and not slam it into the reading section of web pages??  I wrote them a pointed letter and told them just exactly what I thought of their having changed things from pleasantly passive to extremely annoying.  Not a happy camper anymore.  I HATE so-called enhancements!!!  Why can't wonderfully working products just be left alone?  Angryfire

BangHead
McAfee bought them in April for $70 million.  The takeover came less than 1 month after SiteAdvisor launched their first product. 
Does not surprise me.  It's a great addition to anyone's browser capabilities, and it's kept me from clicking on some sites when Google-ing.  I've felt a bit of relief having it installed when I'm surfing the web, and a lot safer from spyware and such. 
It's just politics.  And political spin infiltrates every walk of life.

Maroons.
SiteAdvisor's accuracy leaves a little to be desired.  When I tried to access HostGator's website I was redirected by SiteAdvisor to a warning page:

Quote: www.hostgator.com/ may try to steal your information.

Why were you redirected to this page? We believe this site may be trying to trick you into entering your financial or personal information. This is a serious security threat which could lead to identity theft, financial losses or other dissemination of personal information.

:Smile :Smile :Smile Bs Bs Bs

I really don't think my information was in any danger of being stolen if I accessed their site.  HostGator is a very large reseller (for ThePlanet) and hosts over 200,000 domains.

I wonder how many other legitimate companies SiteAdvisor is displaying the same warning for?

The only way to access a site that has been labeled by SiteAdvisor is to go through the following tedious process:

Quote:How to override this phishing warning for www.hostgator.com/:

If you are absolutely sure that you still want to visit this site, here's how:

1.  Click on the SiteAdvisor dropdown menu arrow (click on the black arrow on the right side of the SiteAdvisor safety button)

Note: if you're using SiteAdvisor Plus in 'Protected Mode', choose 'Disable Protected Mode' by clicking on SiteAdvisor's dropdown menu. Enter your Protected Mode password when prompted and then ...
  2. Choose "Do not warn list..." from the menu.
  3.  Add "www.hostgator.com/" to the list.

Type "www.hostgator.com/" back into your Web browser.

The average person won't do that and will just move on to the next site. :Smile
Smileyviolin