TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Rookie Web Site SEO Questions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi - I have some Newbie questions after reading some material on this forum.

#1 What is the difference between page rank and traffic from the search engines? When I type in keywords I do come up in the search engines, but my page rank is 0 (I think).

#2 How do I get a site map?? Where does it go? A page on the site??

#3 Should I put stuff on my site that I have been putting in my blog to get "content"??

#4 After a nice start I have had NO sales. eBay is dead for me too--(but never this slow). I hate to use the dreaded "it's summer" excuse, but my customers are probably vacationing in the Hamptons  Toothy2  LOL. I'm just using the time to fix up my site--hope it pays off later.

Kim 
#1 Your PageRank is 0 because Google only updates PR a few time per year.  The Future Page Rank Tool (click on SEO Tools at the top of the site) is showing that when the next update hits you should receive a PR of 4...or 3

Quote:#  Domain name 

Current PR
                                                  Predicted Accuracy Backlinks
1 www.decorativedishes.net... 0 4 (3.5) 81.5% 135

Traffic from search engines is the number of visitors you receive from them.  I think too much emphasis is place on PR ratings because a higher (or lower) PR doesn't necessarily translate into more traffic from search engines or even better placement for your keywords in searches.  I've seen some sites with PR's of 2 receive more visitors (or have better placement for keywords) than some sites with PR's of 5.

#2.  You can generate a sitemap by typing in your URL here: http://www.sitemapdoc.com/ .  There is also a video tutorial here (scroll down): http://www.sitemaps.your-tips.com/

The sitemap is placed in the / directory of your server.  You can signup for a Google Sitemap account here . http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/siteoverview  You'll need to give Google the location of the sitemap on your server.

#3 I'd keep the stuff in your blog.  It goes well there. Smile

Thanks!  Love7 Wow. I didn't know I would be getting a rank.  Toothy9

RE: Site Map. If I'm on Shoppal how would I put it on the server??

I got a double opt in mailing list program from Vertical Response and I am sending ONE mailing only to my existing eBay customers specifically stating they won't get anything else unless they sign-up (per your advice regarding no spam). Shoppal has a mailing list too, but I think the Vertical Response one will get more signups. I'm mailing by alphabet from my Auctiva eBud program and referencing what they bought from me. I'm going by alphabet and I got the A's done and got 2 signups so far  Laughing7 I appreciate the help. Kim
Quote:RE: Site Map. If I'm on Shoppal how would I put it on the server??

You'd need FTP access to upload the file.  If you can't use a site map don't worry about it. We have one site without a site map that has over 100,000 pages indexed in Google.  Google's spider will find your pages with or without a site map.
Quote:I got a double opt in mailing list program from Vertical Response

As long as it's double opt-in.  Smile  The features in Vertical Response look much better than ShopPal's.

We have ConstantContact but need to switch soon.  Overstock gave us a free 1-year subscription last year but once the year runs out the cost will be $75.00 monthly for the plan--a little too pricey.  :blinkie:
I've enjoyed vertical response - plus with them you can send real old-fashioned postcards along with emails.  There are a couple of lists that I maintain where they receive "reminder" postcard notifications before certain important dates.
Quote:As long as it's double opt-in.  Smiley

Tulilp Tools  Tool  didn't raise no spammers Signs036

Jen - Thanks for the info about the postcards. I saw that, but it didn't really regiser.

Vertical Response - I bought 1000 e-mails for $15. I like the ease of use of the program a lot--very slick. Does just what I want. I imported a list from a file and it worked, but ended up using the Auctiva program instead (free and I could reference their previous purchase). If I hadn't used eBud all those years I wouldn't have had a record of my customer base.

RE: Content - What is content?? When I enter a new item of inventory is that content?? Regic when you say 100000 pages are indexed what would be on those pages?? Thanks! Kim

P.S. I read BBH post on Kirk's post on the Stores Board. I'm going to sign up for my 3 week wait for the search directory here now :-*
Quote:Regic when you say 100000 pages are indexed what would be on those pages??

It's a directory.  Yahoo has 516,000 pages of it indexed.
[quote author=amy link=topic=4371.msg17507#msg17507 date=1152677653]

We have ConstantContact but need to switch soon.  Overstock gave us a free 1-year subscription last year but once the year runs out the cost will be $75.00 monthly for the plan--a little too pricey.  :blinkie:
[/quote]

Canceled today.  The free year was due to run out tomorrow.  Big Grin

On another note...DID OVERSTOCK STOP THE FREE GIFTS OR WHAT?  In the past we received free listing from 1/05-3/06, a free $900  Constant Contact account and now NOTHING!  No free gifts in months.  Crybaby2

I want more free gifts!
I want 'em now!
If I don't get more free gifts I'm dumping Overstock for Wagglepoop...OK, maybe not.  Laughing7
Quote:I want more free gifts!
I want 'em now!
If I don't get more free gifts I'm dumping Overstock for Wagglepoop...OK, maybe not

Happy001

Speaking of free gifts, does PESA give away hats with attached hair (see Jay's pic)? :twistedevil:
Pages: 1 2