TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Ecommerce software maker discusses the future of online shopping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Interview with the CEO of ecommerce software maker Mercado Software which powers the sites of Sears, Macy's, Tower Records, and JC Penney

Quote:Q At what pace do you think e-commerce will continue to grow?

A It's growing at a significantly faster rate than traditional retail, exponentially faster. In fact this year, you've heard of Black Friday, the Friday after Thanksgiving, now there's Black Monday, which is the Monday after that Friday. it actually surpassed Black Friday this year in total sales volume. The fact that people feel comfortable buying over the Internet, the fact that they have broadband access and it's easy and their computer doesn't time out when they run for their credit card and they have to start over, which used to happen all the time, is really creating this environment where No. 1, the companies who sell are finding the most effective and efficient ways to sell their products and services is over the Internet. And, No. 2, consumers are growing up to the point where they if they don't prefer it, they look at is a parallel way to consume products,

The other major driver is the 12- to 20-year-old market. Again, I have two children who fit into that space and they are absolutely consumers, they have the buying power, and think of everything online. My phone never rings in my house anymore. My children are IM-ing constantly and they have 18 conversations going on at once. Again when they continue to grow up, they are going to proliferate this concept of it's natural to buy over the Internet...

full article: http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/ccti...051648.htm