TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Better searches?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One of the main reason I come to Tuliptools is to search the collection of information gleaned over the past 13 years of its operation. Unfortunately, it appears the shortest permissable search string is 5 characters, which means no dice in searches for ebay, bbh, amy, php, ajax, ibm, and a zillion other topics of central importance.

Can you New Yorkers fix it and let me know when it's up to par?
Quote:the shortest permissable search string is 5 characters

it's 4 characters  Tongue

We can't shorten it because we're using a fulltext index.  The minimum string needed to use fulltext is 4 -we need fulltext for the related topics to work.
Well that is curious, indeed. When I search for "ebay" or "ajax," this is the only thread that comes up. When I search for "search," I get plenty of results.
[quote author=misteroriginal link=topic=4557.msg19020#msg19020 date=1154261432]
Well that is curious, indeed. When I search for "ebay" or "ajax," this is the only thread that comes up. When I search for "search," I get plenty of results.
[/quote]

That's because the SMF search engine only searches the forum (and its children) where you are located.  If you search from the main page of the forum it searches all 271 forums and returns 51 pages of search results for eBay.  If you search from here (TulipTools Announcements) it will only search this forum and its child (the Suggestions forum)
Uh... Oh! Yes. I KNEW that. I DID! No, really! I actually did know that. You probably wonder why I asked you if I already knew. Well! You see.., it's like this. I'm very clever. Very clever I am, and I was just asking you because...

because...

I am looking out for you. Yes, I am. I am looking out for you and your well-being. Sometimes, I know, I might not come across as the most caring individual, but I am. You'd better believe that I am. I was looking out for you because I care. And very cleverly by asking you these kinds of questions, I give you the opportunity to demonstrate things... like... your knoweldge, for one.

Call me stupid, but I've seen some sites with special searches for code, or other stuff that goes by a different set of rules. I know BBH can write PHP modules for ZenCart. I also know I will never get to plagiarize any of that UNLESS I can trick him into posting it, AND I can conduct more advanced searches.