TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Be glad your little
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just happened across this website that illustrates the point I was trying to make in a long-lost thread.

The point is, the "big boys" have SEO & web presence nightmares that you, as the little person, can thankfully avoid. Check out this site, and scroll down to the bottom to see the list of websites they maintain for each brand around the world (not trying to pick Pentair specifically):
http://www.pentair.com/water.html

And that's just for the "Water products" half of the company. Each site has to be SEO'd, promoted, developed, etc. When faced with inevitable product overlap, who get's the keyword preferential treatment. Do them teams for each website compete, or does one team try to brand 30 different sites and establish a presence. There are many issues that will make it difficult for this $3 billion company to look like a $3 billion company on the web.

For the little guy, I think it's VERY important to not blindly follow large corporateions on the web. Focus on one main site, if at all possible. The old axiom "Divide & conquer" can apply to YOU, if you're not careful. Don NOT divide and conquer your own web presence!
Quote:Focus on one main site, if at all possible.

OK.  TulipTools will be deleted in 30 seconds so we can follow Mr. O's advice Yellowtonguerazz

Quote:the "big boys" have SEO & web presence nightmares that you, as the little person, can thankfully avoid. Check out this site, and scroll down to the bottom to see the list of websites they maintain for each brand around the world

They have $3 billion dollars and not that many more websites than we have.  Their websites are also all small (i.e. not many pages.  Some were as small as 30 pages). Further analysis, the 3 sites of their's I checked had a total of 590 pages indexed in Yahoo.  Our top 3 sites have 770,000 pages indexed....who do you think has more of a job keeping up with SEO, the big guys with a huge budget and sites with few pages or the little guys with a small budget and sites with many pages?  How do they have problems that the rest of us don't? Huh? Huh? Huh? Yellowtonguerazz 

Here's an article from a strange lady I never heard of before. She may be trying to subliminaly sell me life insurance or eBay keywords, but she wrote something on the Internet. It MUST be true! After all, that's (self-censored), right?

Quote:As a result, an executive's work environment is inherently politically charged. And when corporate politics and SEO meet, they can produce a curious collision of emotion and logic. There's an inverse relationship between corporate politics and the goals set for a challenging SEO project: as political influences increase, the likelihood of SEO success decreases.
http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3500231

This is with respect to blogging, from SEO Book:
Quote:Some people think individuals can't compete with large corporations. The numbers prove otherwise.
http://www.seobook.com/archives/001311.shtml

I'll try to do more googling. FWIW, I'm just trying to find objective views of large versus small business SEO in my search, 'cuz I know what they'll say. They will say the big corporations can win through brute-force spending, but the little guy has a lot of advantages in his/her court.

The aggravation about search for objective SEO information is all the SEO companies have spamdexed it into oblivion.

So here's an example that I made up myself. I was going down the list one by one, and every website name is number 1 in the organic Google search results with, the exception of Myers. For simple methodology, the website name for Myers is femyers.com, I delete the fe and searched "Myers" and did all the other searches the same way.

If you look at the results, $3 billion Pentair subsidiary Myers is number 1, $20 billion Bristol-Myers Squibb is toward the bottom, and, in the middle of it all, we find photographer Jeff Myer. Maybe he spamdexed his way into the pile, I don't know. But the proof is in the pudding, as they say at the Jell-O factory.

The example of the pipsqueaks running with the big dogs is seen over and over again in every search. Why? Because the big companies big bucks only go so far, and they have huge inefficiencies to deal with.