TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Do Self-promoting posts by designers on eBay boards discourage website creation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Quote from the eBay boards which I happen to agree with after weeks of seeing designers on the eBay boards discouraging people from using the ShopPals and ZenCarts of the world and telling people that it will cost them $400-$2500-infinity if they want to have a website that will be found by search engines...and then there are the designers charging $40-$100 just to install a basic Zen/osCommerce cart without any modifications.  Great way to discourage people who can't afford a designer's services from setting up their own websites.

anonymous Wrote:There are many people on this board who flat out cannot afford either the money or the time to have a site built from scratch. Comments like yours are depressing and may discourage them from using what could be a solution for them.

You darn near discouraged me from attempting to do a site from scratch by making it sound as if only a pro could do it right. Fortunately, I have since talked to many folks who DID do it by teaching themselves.
[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=4674.msg19947#msg19947 date=1154969532]
Quote from the eBay boards which I happen to agree with after weeks of seeing designers on the eBay boards discouraging people from using the ShopPals and ZenCarts of the world and telling people that it will cost them $400-$2500-infinity if they want to have a website that will be found by search engines...and then there are the designers charging $40-$100 just to install a basic Zen/osCommerce cart without any modifications.  Great way to discourage people who can't afford a designer's services from setting up their own websites.

anonymous Wrote:There are many people on this board who flat out cannot afford either the money or the time to have a site built from scratch. Comments like yours are depressing and may discourage them from using what could be a solution for them.

You darn near discouraged me from attempting to do a site from scratch by making it sound as if only a pro could do it right. Fortunately, I have since talked to many folks who DID do it by teaching themselves.
[/quote]

In the case of the designer who posted the topic you pulled the quote from, it is very clearly a matter of trolling for business.

The first time I saw one of her posts, I , being generally trusting, :blinkie:
assumed she was trying to help other sellers. I even contacted her to design a site for me.

She posted her second thread and it became very clear to me that her primary motivation was to drum up business for herself under the guise of being helpful. In truth, the "help" was very clearly intended to discourage self-help and encourage the unaware to hire her out of fear that they would not be able to have a successful business on the net without "expert" help. Tongue1

I would not now hire her if she offered her services gratis.

Edited to add:

PSS//
All of the various aspects of building and getting a site online seem daunting enough to us non-techies. :blinkie:
When a person who bills themselves as an expert  makes these things sound like rocket science, it becomes even more daunting and discourages many from even attempting it, IMO.
Additionally, although the hosted store pkgs may not be for everyone, they clearly work well for many people and are very easy to use.

I am trying very hard not to think about it.  Wink

I can't stay polite if I do think about it.  Angryfire
Now your catching on to what WE are all about here Bell.

Over the years I've seen many pull this self serving crap just to make them a buck.
As a result many ebayers are STUCK at feebay or useless fee based MALL type places
pouring good $$ after bad because they feel the can't get out their and do it themselves.

These fly by night opportunist take advantage of them rather
than actually helping to show them the way.

As usual it's ALL about the money for some.

We all got to make a buck, but how we go about it is who and what we are IMO.

As a result of what I've witnessed I have NO respect for those who Spam boards
trying to get people corralled in yet another auction site or who spout off like they know it all.

Web site building is just that. A building process and can be fun, exciting and rewarding.
Learning new tricks and programs are all part of the process and define who we are and what level of commitment we are truly willing to take to become successful online FULL time sellers.

PS...
Anyone just starting don't be afraid to ask questions.

Most info like initial set up on a server, or how to set up your ISP or point your
domain name to a particular server will be found
in the "help" files of any particular host server.

But if one is still confused just ask.
There are no dumb questions.

I still have many and as long as a few don't come in and just
try and talk down to us
and actually answer the questions... that is useful.

Anything less is just... well... plain BS.  :Smile
Quote:But if one is still confused just ask.
There are no dumb questions.

Ah Ha! Now I have it in writing! XPP, you won't be able to back out when I start driving you crazy with questions. And when I get done, you may start believing that there ARE dumb questions.  Laughing7

:Smile
I was actually starting to wonder is she was put up by LieWorld. Why are her posts allowed to stay?

I thought her original article on SEO was very good, but then she moved in for the kill. She lost credibility when she started bumping her own posts and having her customer bump her post. She has a patronizing and condescending manner and throws her faith around as a marketing tool--yuk  Icon_tongue. Preying on the fears of small ebay store owners faced with an uncertain future doesn't seem that charitable to me.

She stated she spent 4 hours writing up her slam of do-it-yourself sites. I think she also stated that she got several projects that she is interested in taking on. If she gets 10 at $3000 a pop I guess her time was well spent.

If you have the money maybe this is the kind of ruthless marketing person you want on your side...

I have received incredible support from the various boards that is truly touching. She even managed to put in a little jab to the people who ask for help on chat boards. Sad.

When I saw her very first post on how ebayers should hire a pro to set up a web site, I knew right away what her game was.  Never read beyond that.

I would guess that greedbay has let her posts remain, as it's a discouragement to those who would like to leave. 

I really do not have animous (sp?) towards those who earn a living building websites for others and who try all kinds of methods to get business.  However, advertising and self-promotion should be done tastefully and carefully.  In this particular case, she's sort of like an ambulance chaser, and will offend anyone with half a brain.
Quote:She has a patronizing and condescending manner and throws her faith around as a marketing tool--yuk  icon_tongue. Preying on the fears of small ebay store owners faced with an uncertain future doesn't seem that charitable to me.

My thoughts exactly, Kim.
Umm is the thread still up over there?  >Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24