TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: FTP (file transfer Protocol)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Re:  toopid questions.

Cranky, you don't KNOW toopid til I start voicing some....  Everybody starts at the bottom at some point.  Smile
hippie most of this stuff only requires a little bit or reading in the help files.
I use a rule of thumb on programs. If I can't start getting the hang of it pretty quick... it's too much for me.

Most anything we need to get up and runing does NOT have to be a complex complicated thing. Some a bit more but just take it a step at a time and in no time it will all come together.

We are here to help.  Smile
Quote:If I can't start getting the hang of it pretty quick... it's too much for me.

OOPS. I be in trouble then because I am NOT getting the hang of most of it either pretty quick or at all. Ask Belle. She could tell you what a pain I am.  Laughing7

Oh well. At least I can still laugh at myself.  Big Grin
Thanks so much for all your help. It does sound pretty easy but, like Hippie, I'll bet I can screw it up.
Actually, there's absolutely NO WAY to screw it up if you use the info from your web site registration -- their IP numbers, your ID and password.  Once it's installed and communicaing with your site, it runs by itself! 

Hey, guys.  If this nitwit can do it, anybody can do it....  Smile
Diger told me I'll lose my Big Member if I fight any more, but FTP is not secure.
http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/proftpd.html

I tried to talk about it on another forum (not that there is one), but got shouted down by [angry people].

SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) is better, but plain FTP broadcasts your username and password in a way that can be intercepted and red by [evil Nigerians]. I prefer SSH.
Here's a link that explains it more clearly and simply.
http://www.raditha.com/php/ftp/security.php

Mozilla uses SFTP, and I'm sure they will be happy to know MrO approves.

I cannot say if WS_FTP is good or bad, but they lost my confidence when they start with
Quote:FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is the simplest and most secure way to exchange files over the Internet.
That is not even CLOSE to being true.

Make sure your web host can handle it. The cheapest GoDaddy account could not a few months ago, if you're using that. I let it run out, so maybe things have changed. I know they did some upgrades since then.

Here's a link to the SSH option:
http://www.ssh.com/support/downloads/sec...rcial.html
Without re-reading the previous threads, that's what I was trying to say -- that I will need to do the secure thing with my ws-ftp.  Just a bit slow in trying to figure it out, that's all. -- and haven't retried in 2+ years, either......
[quote author=stardust link=topic=4676.msg20114#msg20114 date=1155084380]
Just a bit slow in trying to figure it out, that's all. -- and haven't retried in 2+ years, either......
[/quote]tsk... tsk... Who's your web host?
I just switched over to BlueHost.  When I want to do something about it, I'll contact you for instructions, if that's all right.  Smile

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5