TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: FTP (file transfer Protocol)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Not sure if this belongs here or not. Please feel free to move it if it doesn't.

XPP and I were discussing the fact that I don't know how to FTP, in another thread and he said if I started a new thread he would explain it. Perhaps the information will prove useful to others as well.
Quote:Perhaps the information will prove useful to others as well.

I am ignorant (just one of many things that I am clueless about) as well and would welcome the help.  Tard Big Grin
What is FTP?
FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is the simplest and most secure way to exchange files over the Internet.  Whether you know it or not, you most likely use FTP all the time.

Most often, a computer with an FTP address is dedicated to receive an FTP connection.  Just as a computer that is setup to host Web pages is referred to as a Web server or Website, a computer dedicated to receiving an FTP connection is referred to as an FTP server or FTP site.

http://www.ftpplanet.com/ftpresources/basics.htm

More above on it but  the whole idea is to download a free FTP program.
Install it and then you have to get the address from your host, create a user ID and password.
(Can be the same ones you use to access your control panels at ypur host site.

Then you simply open the ftp program click on the file's you want to upload to the host
(to your website) then hit the send or arrow button.

What FTP does is open your files at both ends (on your computer and at your website)
so you can transfer them fast. either way to or from.
I was going to point you to the one I use but it looks like they are charging for it now.
Glad I have it one disc  Laughing7

But:
FTP Commander
http://www.vista.ru/2inter.htm
Says:
A basic, easy-to-use freeware FTP client. Offers all the functions of the Web's most popular FTP client, WS_FTP, except that this is unconditionally free. You can delete, rename and copy files, as well as create and delete directories on the FTP server. FTP Commander is freeware; unlike the second FTP client listed here, FTP Navigator, (which is shareware).

Filezilla, http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/, wich is free, is an excellent FTP program
Well, it SOUNDS easy enough but I betcha I can complicate it.  :o Wink

Thanks guys!
Coffeecup.com may still have a free FTP.  When you signed up for your website host, information will have been given to you on your verification email regarding the data/numbers/protocol needed for FTP.  You should be able to find everything you need to get it working.

FTP is your own private upload to your website.  Beats any site that automatically invades your computer to get your pix and pages, IMO.
Quote:FTP is your own private upload to your website.  Beats any site that automatically invades your computer to get your pix and pages, IMO.

Now that was the best and simplest way I've ever hear it put.
Thanks Star.. that is exactly what it is.  Cool  Thumbsup

Oh I just saw coffee cup on a Google search and it's still free too I think.
Thanks, Star!

I know there are not supposed to be any stupid questions but mine all seem VERY stupid to me.  Laughing7

Before I could post, I see XPP again. So thanks to you, XPP!
Now, what I haven't figured out yet is how to do it with SSL so it's encrypted and private and all that kind of stuff.  When I open my site, I will for sure get some help with that, being as how I would want to maintain the privacy factor with a public site.

Just for uploading my pix right now for ebay and ecrater, I'm not too concerned.  But a web site?  Different ball game, I think.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5