TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Homeowner Horror: Canadian Identity Thieves Selling Homes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:An 89-year-old man has been left both heartbroken and betrayed after his North York bungalow was stolen from him in the rising wave of title fraud.

Paul Reviczky, who fled Hungary in 1957 to escape Communist persecution, is one of the latest homeowners to discover that Ontario law favours banks, mortgage companies and purchasers over victims of fraud.

"I was shocked to learn that this could be the law in Canada," Reviczky says. "I fled Hungary to escape lawlessness like this and now my sense of security in Canada is gone."...

Reviczky's lawyer, Tonu Toome, says it was "very painful" to have to break the news to Reviczky that he may lose his house forever — even though he was an innocent victim of fraud — because Ontario law recognizes the transaction as valid where the purchaser is unaware of the scam...

full article: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Content...icle_Type1&c=Article&cid=1156542610726&call_pageid=968332188774&col=968350116467