TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Columnist recommends eBay stock because the site has a lot of addicts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:- I think there's a lot to be said for eBay. No, this isn't a revelation, I know, but what is to me quite astonishing is the way that grown men (mostly) and women can become addicted to the site.

Unlike most addictions, this one seems fairly harmless; the main danger is that your home will become full of someone else's surplus Cabbage Patch Dolls or parts for a Porsche 928.

It's also becoming clear that the internet is no different to the old world of bricks and mortar when it comes to barriers to entry. After all, you would think that anyone with a bit of programming skill and a few quid could start their own internet auction site and steal some of eBay's action. However, as with newspaper advertising, once one site becomes accepted as pre-eminent and, moreover, is trusted by buyers and sellers, it becomes completely dominant. So it is with eBay...

full article: http://money.independent.co.uk/personal_...393870.ece
This guy must be living in a bubble.  Lol

I sure hope would be investors don't take a lot of these
"reporter" types word for everything.

A quick glance at there true numbers tells an opposite
story than this guy paints and
I still do believe that the forums over there are a sampling
of what the general
public perceive eBay to be anymore...
and we all know what people say in those forums.  :Smile

All but the  Smileykoolaid heads that is.

What was the last count in their Q report? More like two thirds of the eBay
ID's have NOT been active in a 12 month period and well over 84 MILLION PP accounts are also inactive out of a bogusly reported 110 MILLION.

Some one is REAL off on this report or is being compensated to SPIN IT.  Happy001
Quote:It's also becoming clear that the internet is no different to the old world of bricks and mortar when it comes to barriers to entry. After all, you would think that anyone with a bit of programming skill and a few quid could start their own internet auction site and steal some of eBay's action. However, as with newspaper advertising, once one site becomes accepted as pre-eminent and, moreover, is trusted by buyers and sellers, it becomes completely dominant. So it is with eBay...

With the exception of the "trusted" that part is true.  eBay is similar to Microsoft--crappy bug filled product but it's a household name and has a virtual monopoly which severely limits the ability of better products to gain market share.

"trusted"...what planet is he living on?  I think a large percentage of buyers go to eBay knowing that "buyer beware" rather than "trust" is the order of the day when purchasing.  The increasing lack of trust is one of many factors driving down prices on the site.
Quote:"trusted"...what planet is he living on?  I think a large percentage of buyers go to eBay knowing that "buyer beware" rather than "trust" is the order of the day when purchasing.  The increasing lack of trust is one of many factors driving down prices on the site.

You can say that again. Oh wait I just did it for you. 

Yea this guy is living on Pluto if he thinks ebay is "trusted"  :Smile
Quote: More like two thirds of the eBay
ID's have NOT been active in a 12 month period

I have 8 more months to go before I join that 2/3s.  Smile
I'm still listing once in a while (one or two items at a time)
just to see if anyone will bid or buy.
Been dead over there for me for a few months. I mean REAL dead.
My competators inferior products at give away prices,
are getting a few sales though.  :Smile