TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Remembering 9/11
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It seems almost sacriligious to discuss the events of 9/11 on a chatboard.

I post this out of respect for those who were most affected, and apologize that it is posted in "The Happy, Fluffy Chit-Chat Club" (couldn't figure out another board that would be more appropriate  Dontknow      )

On 9/11/01, I was at home, taking care of my son, who was home sick from school. We were watching "Good Morning America" on the television. When the first plane hit at 8:46, I was dumbfounded, in total disbelief.. When the second plane hit, I knew the world, as we knew it, had ended forever.

On the 5th anniversary of that day, I am still so sad at the loss of a lifestyle.And more saddened still by the loss of those who died defending our freedom.

What are your thoughts on this and where were you on 9/11/01?
Watching the news this morning, some things seem so inappropriate (primarily to do with the media and the politicians attending the memorial).
I don't know what is appropriate though......it's all so sad and painful. Even five years later, I watch and I can't stop the tears.
Quote:The early evening of September 11th was probably the weirdest of all, with many things already back to normal.  People had gotten out of work early, and were roaming around suburbia.

They didn't get back to normal in New York for months.  The air smelled of burning chemicals until well into October. 
Quote:I can't even imagine how it must have been to live anywhere within any sort of range of the WTC.

We're less than 1 1/2 miles away.  If we were birds we'd be a mile away. It wasn't a fun time.  Amy's daughter had just started high school 2 blocks from the WTC, Amy's father had a meeting in the WTC that day and worked 1 block away.  We didn't know where either of them were until late afternoon because the regular phone lines were too jammed to get through and all cell phones were knocked out in Manhattan. Both were OK although Amy's father's leg did get burned by falling burning debris.  There were several people I know who didn't make it.

For 1-2 weeks after we had to show IDs just to cross certain streets or enter/leave our neighborhood. National Guard and the Army troops were at many interesctions.  Masks were necessary for several days when going outside.  Our air conditioner stayed on and the windows closed until October because of the burning chemical stench in the air since the WTC debris continued to burn for weeks after 9/11.

It definitely wasn't a good time to live in lower Manhattan.
Sad 
I'm not watching any of it.  I don't need nor want to be reminded of the tragedy, as it's still very fresh for me and my anger is still very real.  I won't *forgive* the perpetrators and all their followers and supporters, and what they stand for. 

We are not responsible for the actions of evil individuals.  I will not accept the theory that somehow (and in every which manner possible) we are to blame -- that we *asked for it and deserved what we got*.  Appeasement does not exist in my dictionary.  The more evil is coddled and tolerated, the faster it advances.

I now fully understand the horror and infamy of Pearl Harbor for the generation before us -- so jolting.  So sudden and so shocking. I just wish that this horrible *war* we are facing could be one that could be 'over and done with' rapidly, like all conventional wars where territory is the prime catalyst.  Sadly, this is a war for people's souls -- all over the world, not just here -- with no clear end in sight. 

I cannot even imagine what it would have been like to be living anywhere close to, downwind of,  or within sight of the WTC.  What a horror!  That goes for DC and surrounding areas, too.  My heart goes out to all families and friends of the downfallen -- on nine-eleven and in the military conflicts that have followed.
Sad
We were newlyweds.  I was waiting for my husband to come home from the world's largest military base (Ft. Hood) . . . he had just gotten through the gates on his way home when the first plane hit.  After he drove home, he drove back to the base - but it was locked down, with nobody allowed to enter or exit, so he came home feeling suddenly very helpless.  A sergeant in charge of young soldiers that he was now locked away from.  We watched and watched and watched.  Our veterinarian's office called and asked if we were going to make the appointment for our dogs - which I thought was surreal.  The next day I was supposed to be on duty, but all aircraft were grounded, so I also had nowhere to go, nothing to do. 

My husband was active duty in the army while he was a Canadian citizen.  He was going through the immigration/naturalization process when this happened.  Suddenly his opportunities in the army were restricted, because he was not a citizen. It was almost 6 years from his application for citizenship when he finally got it.

On my side of the family I have an aunt and uncle that are both Lt. Col. in the army - both tasked to the pentagon.  Her office was destroyed.  Luckily she was visiting with him on the other side of the complex.

I can't watch the TV today.  Between the members of my family and friends that are military, and those that are Fire/EMS, it just hits too close to home. 
Quote:I drove past the Pentagon that morning on my way to work in DC.

I used to work on K St in DC (18th&K). I've wondered what it was like there during and after 9/11. When I first moved to DC in the early 80's, the street in front of the White House was still open---everything was pretty open actually. Sad it is no longer possible.

I have to believe that being in Manhattan with a child to be concerned about, had to have been the worst of experiences.