TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Not All eBay Employees are Honest: Sharing Passwords w/ them May Put You At Risk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:In a recent survey of readers, AuctionBytes.com discovered that 98% of respondents have received phishing emails purporting to be from eBay, and 14% have responded to them...

eBay sellers sometimes share passwords with employees, which may add to the vulnerability of their accounts. The survey questioned respondents on practices regarding password-sharing.

When asked how many people had access to their eBay password, 64% of respondents said only they had access. 27% said members of their household have access to one or more of their eBay passwords. 10% said trusted employees have access to one or more of their eBay passwords, and 1% said friends and/or colleagues have access to one or more of their eBay passwords...

full article: http://auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y06/m09/i19/s02
My ebay password is fuck you  ;D
I gave a friend my eBay and PayPal passwords, at one time, so she could cancel my accounts and such if I should have a problem.
eBay will do NOTHING if one reports to eBay that a fellow seller is having a medical or other emergency.  eBay won't even check into to the situation.  They will allow the seller to rack up tons of negs... which will RUIN their eBay business if and when the seller is capable of returning.
Over the years, on two different occasions, I had provided eBay with SOLID proof that two sellers were in situations out of their control and eBay did NOTHING. 
I didn't expect eBay to take my word for anything. All I eBay had to do was CHECK the info I provided them.  Nothing. 
Soooo, not only did the seller's eBay business end up down the tubes... buyers were "ripped off" as well because eBay sat on their hands.  Aspholes!
Why does the title of the thread refer to eBay Employees, when the article is about sellers sharing password information with THEIR employees?  ???
Quote:eBay sellers have in the past requested that eBay create a permissions-based system in which they could give employees access to their accounts so they could handle customer service issues, but limit other actions employees could take with those passwords.

Perhaps this is the paragraph that could indicate that passwords are being used to send phishing emails *supposedly* from ebay.

But, agreed, that the rest of the article indicates that ebay sellers are very likely to share their passwords with family, friends, and employees.

I'm with Anita on this.  We used to call it the buddy system, and sellers should always make sure that at least ONE other person knows their ebay/any-auction-site password to limit damage if the occasion should occur.
[quote author=Powerbuyer link=topic=5207.msg24007#msg24007 date=1158780196]
Why does the title of the thread refer to eBay Employees, when the article is about sellers sharing password information with THEIR employees?   ???
[/quote]

Case study - the creation of topic #5207's thread title:

A. (general background information on employees):  Studies show that employees/insiders are the primary source of corporate security problems.

analyzing password sharing risks for sellers:

B. Meg Whitman has a PayPal account.
C. Meg Whitman has a password
D.  Meg Whitman is a Seller (of a broken service)
E. Meg Whitman has employees.
F. Meg Whitman's employees are eBay employees.  eBay's quarterly reports state that eBay/PayPal employees may pose a security risk - as employees do in all corporations..

Using the above information we get the following thread title:
" Not All eBay Employees are Honest: Sharing Passwords w/ them May Put You At Risk"

:twistedevil: