TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay Screws with its Search Engine at the start of the Holiday Selling Season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
This isn't the first holiday selling season they've done this, is it?  Smile

Thank you eBay for this wonderful GIFT to all of us non-eBay website owners!!!! Toothy10

Quote:**Introducing: 'Best Match' Sort Option in Search Results*** 

October 09, 2006 | 03:42PM PST/PT

Esteban Kozak
Hello, I’m Esteban Kozak with eBay’s Finding team. I’m here to introduce a new, optional way that you can sort listings on search results pages called "Best Match".

How "Best Match" Sorting Works
"Best Match" lets you sort the listings you see based on a concept called relevance. A particular listing's relevance is based on past buyer behavior, as well as information like the listing title and description.

With Best Match, what buyers do on the site affects the order in which listings are displayed. In other words, if buyers running a particular search often end up viewing, bidding on, or buying, a certain type of item more often, this will be factored into our relevance calculations. These types of items might then display higher on the page in subsequent searches.

One very important note: using the Best Match sorting option won’t change which items you see when you search – only the order in which listings are displayed.

Where to find "Best Match" sort
"Best Match" is a completely optional way buyers can sort their search results. You'll be able to find this option in the next few days by clicking the drop-down menu next to "Sort by" at the top of the results list. If you’d like this to become your default sort view, use the “customize display” link right next to the drop-down.

We're also working on another sort option that will let you sort listings by category. We’re hoping to release it later this month, so stay tuned!

I've started a thread on the Search discussion board with a list of Frequently Asked Questions and a screenshot that show you where to find the relevance option. I invite you to leave your feedback on Best Match there, too.

Sincerely,

Esteban Kozak
Finding team
The first reply on Little Esteban's thread from one of Ebay biggest fans  Common010:

Quote:Esteban, I'm begging you, if this doesn't work right, please pull it, please don't make us go thru more agony with glitches during this season-especially store owners, I know you "believe" in it and are trying to do something helpful for buyers/sellers and perhaps it will, but if it takes 2 or three weeks to work right and kills sales it's just going to do in alot of us in.

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?t...2000241408&start=0

Is there a crack in Dorothy's rose-colored glasses?  :o
Quote:if it takes 2 or three weeks to work right and kills sales it's just going to do in alot of us in.

Apparently there's a difference between truth and reality when some people say they're doing great on eBay. 

Best match works so well on eBay Express that I can't imagine it not working as well on the main site.  :Smile

Someone explain what effect 'relevance' will have on one of a kind item sellers compared to the effect it will have on new mass market item sellers. Smile

Quote:only the order in which listings are displayed.

Only the order... :Smile

"Best Match"

Hmmm...I have "African Violet Pots" in my store. They are listed appropriately under home>garden>containers>ceramic/pottery

Wanna know where they show up in Express based on relevance and best match?

Collectibles>ethnic>African-American>pottery

If folks "choose" this option for search chances are my flower pots will never be seen.
Don't be surprised if your African Violet Pots show up under a search for Purple Toilets. 
Big Grin

It's actually ebay's worst insanity yet.  Angryfire  For everyone.

The software they've chosen to embrace must belong to an ebay Ceo's mother-in-law's step-nephew's best friend's most beloved bartender's mistress.  Who needs money and is blackmailing him.  Tongue  Or sumthin like that.
Way to go, EBAY!  Hello2

Keep it up!  Yellowtonguerazz

That's right... [size=16pt]stay the course
!!!!

Common010 Common010 Common010 Common010 Common010  Common010 Common010 Common010 Common010 Common010  Common010

Which course is that?  Icon_scratch

The course that drives buyers [size=18pt]AWAY from ebay.com and ebayfuckstickexpress.com to other web sites... maybe even mine! [/size]  :o

[b][shadow=red,left]YAY! YAY![/shadow]  La

Rah! Rah!
  Icon_salut

[move]
Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer Cowcheer[/move]

Is this really happening? Or is it an April Fool's joke in October?
They ALWAYS do something horrible to the search process during the big selling season!
Yeah, but it's only the order.
BangHead  BangHead  BangHead  BangHead  BangHead

eBay’s Finding team :asshat2:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5