TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Andy Rooney
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

[quote author=vitalfinds link=topic=5409.msg27121#msg27121 date=1160444970]
I love this rant of his from 60 minutes: http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/rooney4.asp especially this quote:

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system that's better and put your name on the building. Ask your buddy that invented the Internet to help you.

[/quote]
You should read the actual link that you posted.  Andy Rooney didn't say that crap - in fact, he wants to sue whoever attributed his name to it.

If I had the convictions to say something on the internet, I would sign my own name to it.  The fact that somebody wrote this drivel and then signed some celebrity's name to it (instead of their own), tells you alot about the quality of the thought that was originally posted.

So, did you actually read the whole page, or were you searching around for somebody that agreed with your repugnant views, without reading the actual page that you cited?  The point is, you cite a quote that is fraudulent, in support of your views that are intolerant.  I'm surprised nobody has called you out on it already.

V
By the way, I'm sorry for being confrontational on one of my first posts here.  I mean no disrespect to the regular members here, or to this board.  I just have a respect for Andy Rooney as somebody who has spoken his mind for many a year.  To think that somebody would attribute such intolerant, inflammatory, and just ignorant views to him is sad.  It's even sadder to see somebody quote this swill as fact, when the acutal page that they are quoting states unequivocably that Andy Rooney DID NOT SAY THAT.  Please, vitalfinds, work on your reading comprehension.

V
vitalfinds Wrote:I love this rant of his from 60 minutes: http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/rooney4.asp especially this quote:

How odd  Icon_scratch This is what I see in HUGE LETTERS on that page.  Smile

Quote:Claim:  Commentator Andy Rooney explains his political views.

I also see this:

Quote:Last updated:  1 November 2005

I also see this.  An October 2005 statement from Mr. Rooney himself on 60-minutes:

Quote:Mr. Rooney disclaimed the above-quoted piece again in his 60 Minutes segment of 23 October 2005, saying of it:
There's a collection of racist and sexist remarks on the Internet under a picture of me with the caption ‘ANDY ROONEY SAID ON 60 MINUTES.’ If I could find the person who did write it using my name I would sue him.

As Vivian said, the views expressed in the "rant" falsely attributed to Rooney are "Intolerant, inflammatory, and just ignorant" and as Andy Rooney himself said they are "racist and sexist".
Quote:If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system that's better and put your name on the building.

What operating system did Bill Gates invent?

Windows 3.0 was more of a graphical interface to DOS than it was an actual operating system.

Bill Gates and Microsoft made their name and first millions on DOS.  They didn't invent the DOS operating system.  Microsoft bought DOS (some say stole because of the underhanded way the deal was done)  for under $50,000 from a small Seattle company and immediately turned around and licensed it to IBM.

Windows NT which is the base upon which the current Windows XP kernel is built is a fork of OS/2 .  Much of the underlying code of the first version of Windows NT owed its existence to research done when IBM and Microsoft collaborated in creating OS/2.  NT was more a product of IBM research than Microsoft despite the joint work the 2 companies did on the OS.

Quote:As Vivian said, the views expressed in the "rant" falsely attributed to Rooney are "Intolerant, inflammatory, and just ignorant" and as Andy Rooney himself said they are "racist and sexist".

I agree 100%.

:chitfan:
You guys read way too much into things.  I laughed at that Bill Gates thing because some people think that business people are "mean" and "greedy" but they havent started a business of their own.
[quote author=vitalfinds link=topic=5409.msg27614#msg27614 date=1160857760]
I laughed at that Bill Gates thing because some people think that business people are "mean" and "greedy" but they havent started a business of their own.[/quote]

Bill Gates and Microsoft are the epitome of "mean" and "greedy" business people.  Let's see: #1 anti-trust convictions in the US, EU, and Korea; #2 a history of mercilessly stomping on the competition ;#3 a history of stabbing each other in the back to grab power and dollars (read Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen's recent comments on Gates and Microsoft); #4 a history of "borrowing" ideas from other companies and then trampling the company that they "borrowed" the idea from.  The author of that quote picked possibly the worst example if he was trying to say business people aren't "mean" and "greedy"

Quote:You guys read way too much into things.

I'm with Regic, Mandy, and Vivian.  Whoever wrote that fake Rooney garbage was an intolerant, ignorant, racist, sexist ass.
Quote:You guys read way too much into things.

Perhaps you read too little?
Using Bill Gates is just an example.  Some people tend to think that ANY big company is "mean" even if they are producing a gadget to help with the Ozone layer.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5