TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Online holiday shoppers plan to start their shopping earlier this year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Consumers are gearing up to start the holiday season earlier this year...and merchants are following suit.

Nearly 20% of the online shoppers polled said they planned to start shopping for holiday gifts earlier than last year, with 40% planning to start their shopping by Halloween. Anticipating that shift, 39% of multichannel merchants polled said they are starting their holiday marketing earlier this year than last year. Nearly two-thirds (63%) will begin promotions by Nov. 4...

The study also indicates that more online retailers will offer free shipping and other shipping promotions this year. Two years ago only 64% of online retailers offered free shipping with conditions (such as a minimum order requirement); this year 83% will offer the promotion. Indeed, three-quarters of the shoppers polled said that free shipping is one of the most important factors in determining where to buy online.

Among other promotions, nearly 40% of retailers plan to offer “early shopper” discounts, and 31% will offer “first-time buyer” discounts...

full article: http://multichannelmerchant.com/news/jum..._10042006/
They better because I'm planning on cutting them off around the 10th of December.

Oh sure I'll take their orders but I would really like to enjoy the holiday's
like the next guy too for a change.
I think a Marquee in the cart will do the trick to let them know
it may or may not arrive in time for Xmas day.
If they decide no to purchase at that point.. so be it.

I'm thinking of running some heavy specials during the month of November to try and encourage them to BUY earlier and I may just raise prices higher than normal in December so as to send the signal of "It you want to wait for the last min. to shop online your going to pay the premium
for you lack of planning".

How's that saying go?

Your lack of planning is NOT my emergency.
Quote:How's that saying go?

Your lack of planning is NOT my emergency.

I've wanted to say that to SO many people over the years.
Quote:Two years ago only 64% of online retailers offered free shipping with conditions (such as a minimum order requirement); this year 83% will offer the promotion.

We do that every day of the year.  We'll probably lower the minimum order amount  during November.

We'll run two or three 1-day storewide sales (20%-25% off) in November, early December too.

Quote:I think a Marquee in the cart will do the trick to let them know
it may or may not arrive in time for Xmas day.

We'll put up an "order by x/x/x for Xmas delivery" message.  We'll have 3 cutoff dates: international, 1st class/priority, and Express mail.

Quote: 31% will offer “first-time buyer” discounts...
Our 1st time buyers get a coupon for 5% off their next purchase.