TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: If you buy on eBay you may have helped a seller fund a terrorist plot...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:Terror plot 'funded through eBay'

Suspects in an alleged plot to blow up flights from Britain to the US helped finance their operation by buying and selling items on internet auction site eBay, the American ABC News reported today.

An intelligence report cited by the US television network says that a suspect, Assad Sarwar, 26, "used eBay extensively" to raise funds for the plot.

"It is believed they would sell and purchase items to make a profit to fund (the) plot," it said...

full article: http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/terr...95324.html
No wonder they didn't have a large budget and had
to resort to dollar general items to try and carry out their "mission".
eBay ate it all up in FEES.  Lol

All kidding aside. This IS eBay's biggest problem IMO.
The lack of verification of it's members and the ability
for any one to have as many ID's as they wish.

Go eBay
From the Auctionbytes blog:

Quote:Headline reads, "Plane bombers raised funds on eBay,"

Having tracked online fraud for years now, this doesn't surprise me. I wonder how many online-auction buyers have wire-transferred money to organized crime rings and terrorist groups.

http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blo...14471.html
The only reason it's rampant on ebay is because they are the biggest and have the most customers. I would bet they are also on every other auctioin-type site on the web, and have private websites, too.  It's just so EASY to be seen on ebay. 

That last statement refers to fraudsters, scammers, and do-no-gooders, of course, as legitimate, honest sellers are quite often *invisible*.  Tongue
The devil made me do it.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4207/...azenb1.png

(Thanks to imageshack for free photohosting)
Too funny - I wonder how many jihads I have financed through my love of buying plant and herb seeds on ebay?
Not too many, considering I see how many dead plants decorate the front of your house  Lol

Jen
I plant them, I just forget to water them.

I guess I'm the official plant slayer.

If I could buy water on the web, things might be all better.

V
[quote author=xppman link=topic=5451.msg27446#msg27446 date=1160736671]
All kidding aside. This IS eBay's biggest problem IMO.
The lack of verification of it's members and the ability
for any one to have as many ID's as they wish.
[/quote]

To me their biggest problem is they're no longer the most cost effective channel for full time sellers.   
I guess beginning sellers will still gravitate towards eBay.  After all, if you took a newbie and asked them where they could sell something quick . . . .well, they would probably say eBay.  It's when the pressures of actually making a profit start presenting themselves that buyers start looking elsewhere.  In the beginning ecommerce is  like fishing - any old nibble on the line sets your heart racing.

Jen
Pages: 1 2