TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay Bans PlayStation 3 Presales
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Online auction house eBay has decided to halt all PlayStation 3 auctions for the time being. According to a post in the eBay Trust & Safety forum, those listing PlayStation 3 systems for sale have had their listings pulled. In addition, eBay is putting very stringent requirements in place for any future listings of the next-gen consoles: sellers need to provide eBay with a copy of their drivers license or other ID, copy of a credit card statement or utility bill with their current address, an invoice or receipt showing "purchase or posession" of the consoles, and written acknowledgement of agreement with eBay's policies.

Last week, preorders for both Sony's and Nintendo's consoles began...

As was the case last year with the launch of the Xbox 360, a number of early adopters appear to be capitalists first and gamers second, hoping to flip their systems quickly on eBay for two or three times what they paid for them. As a result, within hours of the preorders starting, PS3s and Wiis began showing up on eBay...

full article: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061015-7988.html

related topic on eBay's Trust & Safety forum:
eBay's bad business practices - Playstation 3 Auction = BAN!
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?t...1000365460&tstart=0
Amazing how they can write a 'search for xbox 3' command in a scanning program of the ebay listings so they can pull them, or a search for those offering ban payment methods (avoiding using PP's pay side), or
using a listing to slam eBay  ???
But they can't manage to write and execute one for 'search for .99 cent items with shipping of over 15.00 (or higher)' command to detect for the FVF avoidance, or one to scan for the same ISP
bidder bidding on the same ISP as the seller, or a host of other commands /rules they COULD be using to clean up the site.
Guess it's easier to just keep raising the prices to everyone with front loaded fee's than it is to do the right thing and truly try to bring "vibrancy" back to the market place.

I don't know why I should care because it truly does help all of us with websites.  Smile
Quote:Amazing how they can write a 'search for xbox 3' command in a scanning program of the ebay listings so they can pull them, or a search for those offering ban payment methods (avoiding using PP's pay side),

The money making arm of eBay, PP, must have put pressure on them.  Evil5 Costs too much in "buyer protection" claims. Kim
Quote:***Listing Policy Clarifications: PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii Pre-Sales, and 'Canned Hunts'*** 

October 25, 2006 | 08:15AM PST/PT

Here are two listing policy clarifications that we are implementing effective immediately:

Sony PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii Pre-Sales. These highly-anticipated video game consoles will be in extremely short supply during their initial launch. During the launch of the similarly-released Microsoft Xbox 360, we saw a high number of well-intentioned sellers unable to meet their pre-sale obligations to buyers due to restricted supply, as well as an increase in fraudulent listings for these items. To prevent similar problems with these latest releases, the following restrictions have been placed on pre-sales for the PS3 and the Wii:

* Only one of each console can be listed per eBay account prior to the launch of the console (PS3 is expected to be available on 11/17/06, Wii on 11/19/06).
    * The seller must only accept payment through PayPal, and have at least 50 feedback with a 98% or greater positive rating so that they qualify for PayPal Buyer Protection.
    * The pre-sale item must be listed in the 3, 5, 7 or 10-day formats, and cannot use Buy It Now.
    * The listing must include a photo of your pre-order receipt in the description.

"Canned Hunts" Restriction. After working with the Humane Society of the United States, we have decided that listings for canned hunts that guarantee the killing of an animal violate our Animal & Wildlife Products policy and will not be allowed.
the latest policy update:

Quote:***Listing Policy Clarifications Update: PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii *** 

November 16, 2006 | 09:58PM PST/PT

Earlier we notified the Community about pre-sale restrictions for the PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii products. (Please read our October announcement.) In order to continue to ensure protection for our Community this holiday season after these items are made available by the manufacturers, the following requirements have been put in place for the sale of Playstation 3 and Nintendo Wii products:

1. The item must be in your possession at the time of listing.
  2. The listing must include a unique photograph of the item in your possession.
  3. Your User ID must be clearly displayed within the photograph (watermarks will not be accepted).
  4. The listing must include a clear, readable copy of the sales receipt(s) or other proof of purchase. For your protection please black out any personal information.
  5. If multiple quantities are being listed, all consoles must be included in one unique photograph. The same photograph must be used in each listing.

Sellers will also be notified of these requirements during the listing process when using the Sell Your Item form, and buyers will be reminded of them when placing a bid.
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1064650

A buyer in Britain on Friday won an eBay auction for one of Sony's newly launched PlayStation 3 game consoles with a bid of $15,100.

The 60-gigabyte console, which retails for $599, was one of thousands being offered on the Internet auction site by profiteers hoping to turn a quick buck after the PS3's US launch at midnight Thursday.

WHY DID THEY BID 25 TIMES RETAIL? Boinktard

He waited 40 hours to buy it and sold it for 99 cents.  Big Grin
Quote:I Waited In the line of BestBuy in Boston. I waited there from Tuesday 14th, November 2006.

I was the longest person to be waiting there (40 hrs)

the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-3-PS3-60...dZViewItem

Quote:Want an 60GB Sony PlayStation 3, a pile of games, a Blu-ray Disc and an extra game controller for a mere 99 cents? or would you rather take pity on the poor eBay who - apparently - set his 'Buy Now' price to $0.99 rather than his starting price.

It's an easy mistake to make, we suppose. But then the seller should beware just as much as the emptor should caveat.

full article: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/11/24/...y_for_99c/
If I were the seller, I'd be willing to take a neg over that one.

[quote author=iron_chick link=topic=5472.msg33731#msg33731 date=1164566884]
If I were the seller, I'd be willing to take a neg over that one.

[/quote] ditto.
Hell, I'd be willing to take 3 negatives