TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Review: Internet Explorer 7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Xpp,
You can FORGET getting the included software on a disk with a new computer.  A lot of computers don't come with Restore Disks either.  If you have to re-install, you are up a creek if you didn't make a copy yourself or send away for one . 
And that's is WHY I've NEVER purchased a new computer off the shelf.  Smile
I agree, XPPman--yet time and knowledge force me to go ahead and buy an out-of-the-box computer.

I've always wanted to buy the barebones computers from TigerDirect, then construct my optimal system--but.... time and confidence in my system assembly skills make that almost impossible. If you know what I mean.
I never built one in my life till a few years ago.
It's really easy to do and very cost effective.

If someone handed me a brand new system out of the box.
I'd probably F disk and re format it and start fresh.
OK I'd get all the drivers for the hardware and software I wanted off of it first.  ;D
[quote author=xppman link=topic=5570.msg29016#msg29016 date=1161794598]
I never built one in my life till a few years ago.
It's really easy to do and very cost effective.

[/quote]

Is it still as cost effective as it was 10-15 years ago?  Reason I ask is that I've built two machines from scratch, back in the early 90's and saved a bundle... but back then a new 'puter with current processor/chipsets/motherboard started at around $2000 with no peripherals, no modem, sound... not much of anything.  I looked into doing it again when my 350MHz machine was beginning to annoy me and it just seemed the processors were far too expensive to make it worthwhile.  I formed the opinion that the PC makers got HUGE price breaks for buying in bulk. 

BTW - my first "build" was a 486DX 25MHz, which was to upgrade my 286 (purchased new at around $3000)!  ;D

[quote author=xppman link=topic=5570.msg29016#msg29016 date=1161794598]
If someone handed me a brand new system out of the box.
I'd probably F disk and re format it and start fresh.
OK I'd get all the drivers for the hardware and software I wanted off of it first.  ;D
[/quote]

Absolutely, positively the best advise I could ever give when buying a new machine!  Icon_thumright

I always have an old computer on hand to tear apart.  I never took apart my toys when I was a kid to see how things worked, so I don't know what the deal is now.  Smile  Anyway, the computers always run!

Technology changes so fast, that I've never tried to build one from scratch.  By the time I got around to figuring out what I needed where, it would be an outdated pile of carp.
No no no. That's what they want peeps to think so they will buy the new NOT So Good crap.  Smile
Pages: 1 2