TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Yahoo storefront or Presto store?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am down to the finishing touches of uploading my postcard listings to my Presto Store and opening for business or making a switch and using Yahoo.

I see two potential benefits to Yahoo.

1. I (think) can move items between yahoo store and yahoo auction easily.
2. Yahoo is very high in internet traffic.

Disadvantages:
1. They are in cahoots with Ebay.
2. I'm not sure how a Yahoo store for vintage/collectible items will do.
3. It is much more expensive than Presto.

I hope to be open for business by Monday (with whichever one I choose).

Any thoughts? 
Quote:2. Yahoo is very high in internet traffic.

Yahoo Stores are separate websites so there is no traffic advantage over a PrestoStore.  Someone using Yahoo's search engine is just as likely to find your PrestoStore as they are your Yahoo Store.

Quote:2. I'm not sure how a Yahoo store for vintage/collectible items will do.

See my first answer.  ;D  There is no difference between using Yahoo or Presto for vintage/collectibles.  Your success on either will depend on your promotion of your site.  Yahoo and Presto only host your store.

Other disadvantages of Yahoo Stores:
1. overpriced compared to other hosted carts
2. transaction charges on sales
Thank you. 

I guess I will upload and open with Presto.

I am really just planning on using it as a place to park my listings.  Then, try to nudge the Ebay buyers that way to see everything.  And, to send buyers who inquire if I have such and such city or state postcard, record album etc.

It's scary. I think I've been so dependent on Ebay that doing anything on my own is hard to do even though I don't really expect or even need many results for a while.
Quote:I (think) can move items between yahoo store and yahoo auction easily.

I was never able to figure this out, but I thought it was possible, too.

I just switched from Yahoo! Stores to MonsterCommerce, if that gives you any idea?  Wink

The thing that bugged me most? If someone wants to add more than one product to their cart (of the same type of product), they have to click back and forth between the cart and the product page. Blehh. And--they have to *realize* that they can do that to buy more than one of that item. LOL.
Disadvantages:
1. They are in cahoots with Ebay.

That would do it for me!  Evil4
"It's scary. I think I've been so dependent on Ebay that doing anything on my own is hard to do..."

Very understandable and common.  Don't be hard on yourself for those feelings.
Quote:I think I've been so dependent on Ebay that doing anything on my own is hard to do

Get that new site up and just keep working at it. Soon you will be less tuned into eBay. Then you will get some sales and be encouraged. Then you will be on your way  Mrgreen . You'll probably wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Good luck. Kim
Thanks everyone.  I told everyone over on the Ebay boards bye yesterday.  I can't believe all the people who defend everything they do.  So, I am slowly but surely breaking the Ebay habit one step at a time.

I was getting pink slapped for just saying "hi" so thought I better exit before they NARU'd me permanently. 

It is nice to be able to pick something up and make a listing without worrying about all those fees!  Have most of you had your own sites for a long time now?
I've had mine for 7 plus years.
Started out with a FREE Geocites website
and a mirro site at Angelfire.
People were actually buying from me too.

Got the dot com I think like a year after I realized that this was going to work after all.

For me using eBay as a tool has been what I have done all these years.
Sadly the traffic at ebay has dropped dramatically so I tend NOT
to list much there.

Not that I ever did.

See sometimes less is more IMO

I'll list a few things on feebay and other venues to spark curiosity.
Naturally (usually) people will go to my site and see
MORE. Works well for me.

Plus listing in as many venues as possible can't hurt.
Especially if it is FREE exposure.
I've had my site since May (when I saw eBay Express). Things are going well.

Good job you are doing something constructive now. Stay away from those boards. Does Presto have boards? Hang out at places where people are moving forward-- not stuck in the muck  Protest Kim
Pages: 1 2