TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Public Wireless Access / New Notebook Computer Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys. Just got a new laptop/notebook and got it set up. It has wireless capability and it allows me to connect to an "unsecured wireless access network" which seems to be some kidn of wireless public access.

I have sampled it briefly (out of paranoia) and have a firewall, virus protection, and spy stopper on and running (before I even dared test it).

I have a few questions. What exactly IS a wireless access network (or public access network)? Is it really free? Is it safe to use if you have security measures in place?

Is there such a thing as a pay wifi service for notebooks, in the event the one I can connect to automatically isn't legit?

How can I find out who or where I am connecting to? there is one network showing up in range, which I am able to connect (very quickly) to. It's called "linksys1" which seems to be a generic name. How can I see who that service provider really is? Am I piggybacking on someone else by accident?

All kinds of questions. Hoping some of you have some insight.
Don't look at me!  Happy001 I know nothing.

Just wanted to say congrats on the new laptop. OOH. I wish I had one.  Toothy9
Linksys makes routers and wireless adapters. linksys1 is a WAP network connection.  You are probably connecting to your neighbor's wi-fi network and Internet connection.
We have a Belkin Wireless G.
No encryption. Tried it but couldn't get my son's right.
The program that came with the router and the wireless receiver we installed in my sons computer are compatible WAP and all.
But the help files are not very intuitive nor does the program
show you who may be on your network.

The good part is we live in a remote area and the closet neighbors don't even have computers and the few that do are older peeps so I doubt we have a problem.
Would still like to configure for security... cause you never know.

Quote: What exactly IS a wireless access network (or public access network)? Is it really free? Is it safe to use if you have security measures in place?

If you have internet access now, you need to contact your isp to find out if and what kind of router and modem they reccommend.

Public access is what you use only in a public area----such as at Starbucks.

Quote:Is there such a thing as a pay wifi service for notebooks, in the event the one I can connect to automatically isn't legit?

See above. It sounds like you are connecting to your neighbors unsecured network. Laughing4

Your other questions are all related to the two I answered. BOttom line---you need to contact your isp!! Smile

PS// I have a wireless laptop also.
Gotcha. I think I *am* tapping in to a neighbor's connection, so I quit doing  it. Hopefully they aren't too pissed and would understand that I didn't know what I was doing (I suppose they also could have password protected it. LOL).

I've setup dialup on the laptop(using it now). I have Earthlink DSL. Will that work with wireless?
Sure, just contact Earthlink and find out what type of a router/modem they require. They may only have you  use one or the other. Then you attach those to your desktop and the wireless will pick up the signal from that. Thumbsup
Btw, your desktop will not need to be turned on for you to pick up the wireless.
Thanks, guys!