TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Could Tulip Hosting help with this??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I sing in a women's chorus. From time to time we would like to video our perfomances or choreography and upload it to a web space. Then we would send the link to our members and they could watch it or burn a CD. I did this last spring on my 1 & 1 space and they shut it down saying we couldn't have streaming video (or something, I couldn't really understand what the support person was saying so I dropped it). I just sent a 3MB file to 1 & 1 and it is playing--until I go over the limit I guess??

What Tulip Hosting plan  Tool  would we need to allow that kind of data transfer? Thanks. Kim
The $4.99 plan would give you enough bandwidth but in order to discourage illegal content sharing we have a similar clause in our TOS to the one 1&1 probably has in their TOS and invoked when they shut you down: 80% of streaming media files must be linked to a web page, and the bandwidth used by streaming media must be less than 50% of your total monthly traffic.  The bandwidth controls are automated and there is no way to disable them for individual accounts.

Quote:In order to escape unjust distribution of the resources, as well as possible sharing of illegal content, the Customers are not allowed to use their hosting accounts as a remote storage server only or solely for the purpose of sharing (un)archived images, programs or sound files. At least 80% of all files and/or total megabytes used (including MP3, WAV, RA, GIF, JPG, ZIP, RAR, but not limited to these file extensions) in each hosting account must be a part of actual, active website(s) content, i.e. all content files must have corresponding HTML or PHP files, which link to them. Furthermore, these files may amount to no more than 50% of the customer's total monthly traffic usage.
Thanks Regic - That makes sense, but I still have a few questions. How do you link it to a web page? If you don't play the file, but just right click it and save it to a computer is that still a problem? I don't have any idea about website usuage or percentages. If the file was 15 MB and 4 people played it would it be impossible to balance that out with other web usage? Thanks! Kim
[quote author=DecorativeDishes link=topic=5694.msg30240#msg30240 date=1162347919]
Thanks Regic - That makes sense, but I still have a few questions. How do you link it to a web page?[/quote]

You could place a link to the file on any web page on your site.

Quote:If you don't play the file, but just right click it and save it to a computer is that still a problem?

It would still count towards the 50% since it is a video file.

Quote:I don't have any idea about website usage or percentages. If the file was 15 MB and 4 people played it would it be impossible to balance that out with other web usage?

That would depend on how much regular (non streaming/download) traffic your site received.
Thanks for you help  Icon_queen.

Once we figure out what we are doing maybe I can use TT instead.

However, since what we want to do is not a popular thing with web hosts maybe we will just e-mail the files to each other LOL. Kim