TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Privacy International's rankings of 37 countries//Bad News for US Citizens
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Canada #2 in maintaining personal privacy

KATIE FRETLAND

Canadian Press and Associated Press

LONDON — Germany and Canada are the best defenders of privacy, and Malaysia and China the worst, an international rights group said in a report released Wednesday.

Britain was rated as an endemic surveillance society, at No. 33, just above Russia and Singapore on a ranking of 37 countries' privacy protections by London-based Privacy International.

The United States did only slightly better, at No. 30, ranked between Israel and Thailand, with few safeguards and widespread surveillance, the group said.

The study ranks countries on various privacy-related issues. These include whether they have a written constitution with specific mention of privacy, the use of identity cards and biometrics, electronic surveillance including closed-circuit TV cameras, interception of communication, access of law-enforcement agencies to private data, surveillance of travel and financial transactions, and global leadership in promoting privacy.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/s.../?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20061101.wpriv1101
Commentary mode "on"

Quote:Britain was rated as an endemic surveillance society, at No. 33, just above Russia and Singapore on a ranking of 37 countries' privacy protections by London-based Privacy International.

But if it wasn't, we wouldn't have all those kewl videos to watch of car crashes and speeders!  Angel1

Quote:The United States did only slightly better, at No. 30, ranked between Israel and Thailand, with few safeguards and widespread surveillance, the group said.

Privacy, much to many's chagrin, isn't mentioned anywhere in the constitution, although many have cited the fourth amendment as "pertaining to privacy", which is gobbeldygook.

I don't really see it as "bad news".... I just have to think twice before running nekkid through the streets at midnight.  ((((DANG!))))

Booty
Quote:But if it wasn't, we wouldn't have all those kewl videos to watch of car crashes and speeders!
Quote:I don't really see it as "bad news".... I just have to think twice before running nekkid through the streets at midnight.  ((((DANG!))))

Happy001 Happy001 Happy001

I disagree with you, but you are too funny, FG! Laughing4