TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Stolen Good Sales on eBay: Police Say "What it comes down to is profit for eBay"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote: Listen in as police plants tell Swanson they've brought him hot power tools to sell.

"We went to Home Depot and there they were, in the back of the truck."

Detectives watch. In under an hour the stolen stuff they provided is posted on eBay. Investigators swoop in and seize 125 items. They say this entire book is filled with things Swanson sold. For each sale eBay collects a percentage.

Stolen World War II era stamps, Winning bid was 99-cents; eBay gets 72-cents. When Swanson sold a saw for $80, eBay made $5.61. Climbing gear went for $69.99, ebay got $5.31. Cops say the ring of thieves contributed to eBay's bottom line.

Sgt. Scott Vanwagoner, Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office: "What it comes down to is profit for eBay, and what it comes down to is profit for criminals on the street." ...

full article and news video: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=613395
Quote:Sgt. Scott Vanwagoner, Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office: "What it comes down to is profit for eBay,

Yes, and because ebay seems to concern itself with nothing except easy profits, it  is likely to continue into perpetuity.  Angryfire

Hmmmm.........one could even say that ebay is encouraging criminal activity worldwide because of their refusal to go after the scammers/criminals. :blinkie:
absolute refusal. I chatted live w/ customer service two days ago, and then sent documentation to spoof@eBay regarding a scam. Either an account has been taken over, or the member is trying the "...I have the money in my PayPal account. Send my cousin in Russia $600.00 and I'll give you $200.00 for your troubles..." scam.

Live chat. Documentation. 48 hrs later and the member account is not on hold or deactivated...they have full reign to perpertrate crime. Evidently, they're going after what looks like "new" sellers. I've had this particular id since only mid-year w/ less than 100 sales.

While this kind of scam usually hooks greedy people, there's also an element of very naive, sweet people, a lot of them elderly, who get hooked, too. They'd send the $$ to help this very charming person surprise their cousin for his birthday.

The reporter posed the question of background checks. I don't think it's eBay's responsibility to run criminal background checks on sellers. It is their responsibility to police the venue and at least slow these criminals down, especially when law enforcement is knocking on the frickin' door!

I'm glad the stolen goods and lack of cooperation with law enforcement made the news. Eventually, the Fed is going to step in. eBay used to spend a lot of time at the FTC, making sure business was conducted within proper guidelines. Not so, anymore. Too big for their britches? The Fed just loves going after huge corporations with deep pockets. The Tiffany & Co suit goes to trial this year, doesn't it?
Quote:The Tiffany & Co suit goes to trial this year, doesn't it?

Among others. Toothy9