TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: When using Google Checkout makes sense...not very often
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This article isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for Google Checkout. Smile

Quote:I’ve started to recommend Google Checkout to a number of small businesses. I have 3 criteria for making the recommendation:

1. The merchant does little to no in-house email marketing (promotional, monthly newsletter, community building [thanks, Dave], etc.)
2. The merchant makes little to no money through upsells
3. The merchant has little to no repeat business

Ok, I guess there’s a 4th criteria…thinking short term and only about top line revenue growth. Ok. Ok. You know my opinion on this one.

Even with the $50K? $100K? in free AdWords clicks Google Checkout is throwing around, I still can’t make sense of this for an internet retailer 400 (or 2000 if there was such a list) merchant. Unless Checkout passes back the email address of the customer for 80%+ of the purchases, has amazing upsell functionality (which I know is in the works), and offers a short term contract, I just don’t think it makes sense...

full article: http://www.comparisonengines.com/2006/11...kes-sense/
This is pretty much what XPP has been saying all along.
I'm probably going to turn off the Google Checkout integration in my site's cart. Whenever I try to do test orders through it, it hangs and hangs...
Considering the fact that the *whole world* was waiting for them to come up with an alternative to paypal, you'd think they could've done it right and grabbed all the business.  Instead they offer a fascist mess -- as bad or WORSE than paypal!  >Sad
[quote author=stardust link=topic=5907.msg31934#msg31934 date=1163381420]
Considering the fact that the *whole world* was waiting for them to come up with an alternative to paypal, you'd think they could've done it right and grabbed all the business.  Instead they offer a fascist mess -- as bad or WORSE than paypal!  >Sad
[/quote]
As much as I don't trust PP. I have to agree with the above statement.
Their process is cumbersome, secretive and anti competitive. IMO  :Smile
It's really too bad, too.  Sad