TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Experienced (os) Shopping Cart users - Opinions & Advice Needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings boardies!

I've recently learned that our hosted shopping cart (Microsoft's bCentral Commerce Manager), is going to change to an Office Live product eventually, or worse yet, be simply eliminated.  Office Live does not have a comparable product to Commerce Manager, and they won't say whether or not they're even working on one.  Needless to say that makes us a bit nervous as to the future of our web store.

One of the (many) reasons we left ebay was the constant changes in structure and policy, and I feel that if we stay with Microsoft (presuming that they come up with an Office Live shopping cart), we'll be in for more (unwanted) changes in the future.  This fact can be true for any hosted solution.

This leads me to believe that we should get away from a hosted shopping cart and start investigating other options such as osCommerce, Zen Cart, et al.

My question is simple... which product would be the best choice?  We sell unique, one-of-a-kind items (mostly), so when one sells, they must be marked "sold", and eventually removed alltogether.  Our online inventory is around 4500, but is continuously growing.  Most of our inventory NEEDS shelf time to sell... perhaps as much as 70% of our products are slower-moving, selling when "the right buyer" finds it.

I do have some time to learn, and of course want the transition to be as seamless as possible with minimal downtime... internet sales is 90% of our income.

I'm trying to nip this in the bud, well before we HAVE to change.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Smile
Hello Guy!

I'm not all that experienced, but my feet are wet. Originally I chose Zencart and the only reason I did not stay with them was the "must register" to make a purchase. osCMax is the only one that does not require registration and a password (but they can set up an account if they wish).

There is definitely a learning curve but I am getting there with the help of many kind people. The documentation leaves much to be desired. Except for a few topics, it is necessary to find the answer in osCommerce and see if you can adjust it to apply to osCMax. I am actually finding some days where it's starting to make sense. I do need to get up and running before my annual fees come again.  Lol

If you host your site with Tulip Hosting, they will install the cart for you - I think it is still free. Someone correct me if I am wrong and there was a cutoff date.

All lin all, I am a happy camper thus far. If you have a year to make up your mind, who knows, I may be smart enough to help you by then.
Quote:osCMax is the only one that does not require registration and a password (but they can set up an account if they wish).

Nope, oscommerce cre-loaded has that function too. Icon_biggrin
[quote author=WebGraphicsSource link=topic=6023.msg32574#msg32574 date=1163980392]
Quote:osCMax is the only one that does not require registration and a password (but they can set up an account if they wish).

Nope, oscommerce cre-loaded has that function too. Icon_biggrin
[/quote]

Regular osCommerce will come with that feature when the new version is released.
http://www.oscommerce.com/community/roadmap

Having to register as a customer is definitely out... that's not something I would ever implement.

I'll be watching for the next version of osCommerce.  I have a few domains that are sitting idle, and when the time comes, I'll activate one and start tinkering around... probably hosted right here at TT.  Wink

One thing is that I'm php ignorant... should I buy a book?  (believe it or not, I CAN read!)  Booty

Thanks everyone for the comments so far... keep 'em coming!

Quote:Regular osCommerce will come with that feature when the new version is released.

Quote:I'll be watching for the next version of osCommerce.

You can disable the registration feature in OSCMax.

Regic, which version would be best for one-of-a-kind items?  Icon_scratch

Quote: probably hosted right here at TT.

Best $ wise and the best support on the planet! Thumbsup

Quote:Regic, which version would be best for one-of-a-kind items?

The version does not really matter, it's the SEO, content, structure, keywords etc that counts.
Quote:Having to register as a customer is definitely out... that's not something I would ever implement.

ZenCart is out then but the only difference between registering and not registering for the customer is the extra field to create a password during checkout.

You could skip the osCommerce/CRE Loaded/osCMAX loaded family entirely.  According to BBH and Regic the code is "completely sloppy crappy coding" in all 3 of the osC family scripts.

X-Cart and CS-Cart are both very good and under $200.  Start playing with the demos and reading the feature lists of different carts:

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_an...index.html
[quote author=amy link=topic=6023.msg32626#msg32626 date=1163991611]
Quote:Having to register as a customer is definitely out... that's not something I would ever implement.

ZenCart is out then but the only difference between registering and not registering for the customer is the extra field to create a password during checkout.

You could skip the osCommerce/CRE Loaded/osCMAX loaded family entirely.  According to BBH and Regic the code is "completely sloppy crappy coding" in all 3 of the osC family scripts.

X-Cart and CS-Cart are both very good and under $200.  Start playing with the demos and reading the feature lists of different carts:

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_an...index.html
[/quote]

Tanx so much, Amy... I'll be looking at those alternatives. 

If one includes all the hosted options (which we still haven't entirely ruled out), there's an overwhelming array of products out there.  Volusion looks appealing, but it's about 7X what we pay now... the adwords credit doesn't impress me.

One thing to note is that Steph (the boss) and I took some time to look at several stores at the osCommerce web site:  http://shops.oscommerce.com/directory/Arts_and_Antiques  I'm not sure if this includes zen cart models... but I don't think it does. ??

Steph pointed out that 80% (or more?) of the shops incorporate the same type of layout table (menus or columns on both the left and right), and very few merchants really bothered to alter the overall layout.  That led me to wonder, is it really that easy to customize to match your web site theme?

Thanks again for all suggestions so far...

Cheers

I checked out X-cart yesterday, and I love the integration feature discussed below. This may work for you also, FG. :turkey2:

Quote:5. Integration X-Cart with developed design onto your existing website
If you already have a web-site or developed design we can offer you to integrate your X-Cart with it, so your store will not seem an alien element but will contain all the design details peculiar to your site. Design integration will make no changes to the software as well as navigation logic but will only modify the customer front-end.
We also can develop extra features and integrate them to X-Cart such as different layouts for categories or random flash and images to the home page, etc.
We can offer you as well to copy the content from your site to X-Cart.
You will get a store with your unique design as a result.

http://www.x-cart.com/web_design_services.html

:turkey4
Pages: 1 2