TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: OJ SImpson:About the Book and the Unaired Interview
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've been thinking about this since I first learned of it. And, I have been furious since then. 

Consider: this is a man who murdered the mother of his children and another human being, in cold blood. Brutally, calculatedly and seemingly without remorse. And now, he would like to earn money from the sale of his description of "how he would have done it" if "he had done the murders". Angryfire

The interview has already been completed---it just won't air as planned. But, you know it WILL be seen. And his children and the families of the victims will see it or hear of it from others who will see it.

The book is bound to be a bestseller. People are morbidly curious. Actually, people are just damn cold these days. Moral boundaries have blurred, and many will read it and denounce it. They should NOT have bought it in the  first place.

I say NO. Don't buy it, don't read it. The thing is a symptom of a serious problem in our society. Are we so desperate for entertainment that we will allow a man such as this to profit from these murders?

Quote:n a video clip on the network's Web site, an off-screen interviewer says to Simpson, "You wrote 'I have never seen so much blood in my life.'"

"I don't think any two people could be murdered without everybody being covered in blood," Simpson responds.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061115/ap_o..._interview

Edited to correct the wording of the title.
Agree 100%.
[quote author=stardust link=topic=6036.msg32813#msg32813 date=1164098615]
Agree 100%.
[/quote]

Star, I think there are a lot of things we can probably agree on. Smile :turkey4
:turkey4 to you, too!
:turkey4 :Star and Belle,

Any word from Reg or Bbh about the turkeys?  :turkey1: :turkey2:

Laughing7
[quote author=chiquita link=topic=6036.msg32887#msg32887 date=1164144188]
:turkey4 :Star and Belle,

Any word from Reg or Bbh about the turkeys?  :turkey1: :turkey2:

Laughing7
[/quote]

:turkey4  to you too, Chiquita! I asked about them in the announcements forum---they prolly haven't seen it. I'm sure they'll let us keep the 2 cute turkeys, lol!!

You guys check out my link on the chit-chat thread. Angel1

http://community.tuliptools.com/index.ph...l#msg32847

Edited to add:

We get to keep the turkeys!Big Grin :turkey1:

http://community.tuliptools.com/index.ph...w.html#new

A related story from CNN(New York API):

Quote:News Corp., owner of Fox Broadcasting and publisher HarperCollins, called off Simpson's "confession" Monday after advertisers, booksellers and even Fox personality Bill O'Reilly branded the project sick and exploitive.

Quote:With the interview already taped, however, and thousands of books either sitting in warehouses or headed to booksellers, Simpson's supposedly hypothetical account of how he would have committed the murders of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman appears all but certain to surface.

"A book becomes collectible when it's hard to find, and this will become very, very collectible, surely worth four figures," said Richard Davies, a spokesman for AbeBooks.com, an online seller that specializes in used and collectible books.

The Simpson book will almost certainly remain underground, with another publisher unlikely to take on "If I Did It."

Even Michael Viner, whose previous releases include a memoir by disgraced New York Times reporter Jayson Blair and a tell-all by four Hollywood call girls, said his Beverly Hills-based Phoenix Books was not interested.

"It's the public equivalent of doing a snuff film," said Viner, referring to films that claim to show a person being killed.

"People can make money by doing snuff films, but no one wants to be associated with it."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/21...outube.ap/
From Reuters, 2 hours ago.

Quote:UPDATE 2-O.J. says advance spent as book removed from eBay

LOS ANGELES, Nov 22 (Reuters) - O.J. Simpson's scuttled book about the murder of his ex-wife attracted hot but brief bidding on eBay before being removed on Wednesday, while the former football star laughingly said he had been paid and had spent his advance.

Publishers have pledged to recall and destroy all the books but one copy appeared briefly on eBay. It got more than 50 bids, the highest of more than $1,600, in about two hours.
Quote:Judith Regan, Mastermind Behind O.J. Simpson's Canceled Book, Fired by HarperCollins
By HILLEL ITALIE AP National Writer

NEW YORK Dec 16, 2006 (AP)— Extra! Extra! The press release arrived with a headline worthy of Rupert Murdoch: HARPERCOLLINS TERMINATES JUDITH REGAN. So ended, at least for now, one of the book world's most profitable and provocative careers.

Regan, O.J. Simpson's would-be publisher, has been fired, her sensational tenure at the Murdoch-owned HarperCollins finished off with the tersest of announcements.

"Judith Regan's employment with HarperCollins has been terminated effective immediately," HarperCollins CEO Jane Friedman said in a statement late Friday. "The REGAN publishing program and staff will continue as part of the HarperCollins General Books Group."

Friedman offered no reason for the decision or details of any kind. But her statement comes just weeks after Murdoch's cancellation of Simpson's hypothetical murder confession, "If I Did It," a planned book and Fox television interview that Regan vehemently defended but was greeted with instant and near-universal disgust.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wire...id=2730740

Quote:'Offensive' phone call by publisher preceded her firing

Comments by Judith Regan, already in hot water over Simpson and Mantle deals, to a lawyer at HarperCollins were last straw, sources say.

For weeks, publisher Judith Regan had been in trouble with higher-ups over the debacle of the canceled O.J. Simpson book and TV deal. But her firing swiftly followed a Friday afternoon phone call from her Los Angeles office to a HarperCollins attorney that included comments that were characterized as offensive, two highly placed corporate sources said Saturday.

The comments, the precise nature of which was not disclosed, came just before News Corp., the parent company of HarperCollins, held its annual holiday party, an expensive hotel bash in Manhattan attended by more than 4,000 people. Regan's company, Los Angeles-based ReganMedia, is a unit of HarperCollins.

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-me-regan1...full.story
Pages: 1 2 3