TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Michael Richards ("Kramer") Apologizes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The link below is to a YouTube video( a CBS show ) wherein Michael apologizes, basically blaming his racist remarks on the "heat of the moment".

Does anyone believe this?

IMO, a person who makes racist remarks when angry, is a racist.
Those of us who are not racist would not use the jargon regardless.
This makes me  Puke       

I think he is trying to save his career---nothing more. Boinktard

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I3l-gRHjUNk
His apology proved that he is a racist, "an Afro-American stood up and heckled me"
Quote:The link below is to a YouTube video( a CBS show ) wherein Michael apologizes, basically blaming his racist remarks on the "heat of the moment".

In the heat of the moment, people often say what they REALLY mean.

Even in my worst, heated moments I've never called anyone a n****r.

Don't say racist things and you have nothing to apologize for.
[quote author=natalie link=topic=6122.msg33884#msg33884 date=1164649668]
His apology proved that he is a racist, "an Afro-American stood up and heckled me"
[/quote]

I didn't catch that, Natalie. Btw,  Smileywelcome  to TT!

[quote author=thentavius link=topic=6122.msg33887#msg33887 date=1164650446]
Quote:The link below is to a YouTube video( a CBS show ) wherein Michael apologizes, basically blaming his racist remarks on the "heat of the moment".

In the heat of the moment, people often say what they REALLY mean.

Even in my worst, heated moments I've never called anyone a n****r.

Don't say racist things and you have nothing to apologize for.
[/quote]

I agree. It would never occur to me to call anyone a name related to race, religion or  gender---------it just wouldn't. I think anger brings out more truth than some would like known about themselves. 8)
[quote author=natalie link=topic=6122.msg33884#msg33884 date=1164649668]
[/quote]

I agree with dyed Blondie :twistedevil:  If I was describing the heckler I would say "asshole heckler (or boinking heckler)".  When someone routinely attaches a race to their description of a person ("afro-American heckler") it usually means one thing...deep down inside, the person is a racist whether they want to admit it or not.
He definitely screwed up.  He also showed what a racist he is, at the heart of things.  Like others said, who but a racist says these types of things "in the heat of the moment"?  If you say something "in the heat of the moment", then you'd think the same things in other moments.

However, the gentlemen are going to sue Michael Richards for monetary compensation?  What's that about?  Did he damage their characters?  Were there damages?  Does anybody know who was in the shadows ordering a drink during this whole deal?  I don't understand that - to sue, you need damages.  What damages could have been incurred (besides the one of Michael Richards trashing his so-called career)?  As far as I've seen, they are gentlemen in a crowd.  No doubt, angry gentlemen in the crowd, having been insulted.  However, damages?  Gloria Allred is more than happy to take on the case.  I personally thing Gloria would take on a damages suit against a person that flips off another in traffic. Yes, we can all be outraged, but does it have to be another case of the lawsuit-happy american public?  Somebody can be an asshole without being a litigious asshole, after all.
Quote:However, the gentlemen are going to sue Michael Richards for monetary compensation?  What's that about?  Did he damage their characters?  Were there damages?  Does anybody know who was in the shadows ordering a drink during this whole deal?  I don't understand that - to sue, you need damages.  What damages could have been incurred (besides the one of Michael Richards trashing his so-called career)?  As far as I've seen, they are gentlemen in a crowd.  No doubt, angry gentlemen in the crowd, having been insulted.  However, damages?  Gloria Allred is more than happy to take on the case.  I personally thing Gloria would take on a damages suit against a person that flips off another in traffic. Yes, we can all be outraged, but does it have to be another case of the lawsuit-happy american public?  Somebody can be an asshole without being a litigious asshole, after all.

A whole separate topic 8)      Btw, Allred is an excellent litigator who wins. There must be a case if she is eager to take it. It's all about the law---not our opinions of the law. 8)
Actually, law is all about opinion.  You learn that in the first year.  The instructional method is professor asks 1L student a question.  Student answers.  Instructor immediately takes opposite opinion and breaks down everywhere that the student is wrong.  Instructor asks same question of another student.  Student answers the way the instructor did just 5 minutes ago.  Instructor breaks down everywhere that the student is wrong.  Law professors are the ultimate devil's advocate. 
[quote author=Jen link=topic=6122.msg34051#msg34051 date=1164724700]
Actually, law is all about opinion.  You learn that in the first year.  The instructional method is professor asks 1L student a question.  Student answers.  Instructor immediately takes opposite opinion and breaks down everywhere that the student is wrong.  Instructor asks same question of another student.  Student answers the way the instructor did just 5 minutes ago.  Instructor breaks down everywhere that the student is wrong.  Law professors are the ultimate devil's advocate. 
[/quote]

Mmmmmmmmm.........well, if you earned your JD, you would know better than I. I took the LSAT's but decided against law school (interferred with my desire to avoid boredom ---I'm allergic). Tongue

Still, in an actual court of law, opinions can only be secondary to the law itself.
Quote: Law professors are the ultimate devil's advocate.

Yes, and I believe the term itself derived from the legal profession. Smile
Quote:If I was describing the heckler I would say "asshole heckler (or boinking heckler)".  When someone routinely attaches a race to their description of a person ("afro-American heckler") it usually means one thing...deep down inside, the person is a racist whether they want to admit it or not.

That's my thinking on it also.  Tongue

Pages: 1 2