TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Google Checkout Failing Some Big Tests
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Mike Hyland, owner of Image Marketing Services, said sales plummeted when he created a test site with only Google Checkout as the payment option for a merchant that sold patented suspenders.

Hyland said his client, Holdup Suspender, usually enjoys one of the highest conversion rates on the Web: one sale for every 20 times someone clicks on the company's Google ad. Hyland used Google's Adwords to publicize the new site, but after 1,500 clicks, he could only count 4 or 5 sales.

"At that point, the client was not exactly turned on to Google Checkout," Hyland said.

And even some retailers are wary. An August survey of more than 40 e-commerce merchants by Piper Jaffray, an investment bank, found that more than 80 percent would not implement Google Checkout because they feared Google would disrupt their relationship with their customers...

full article: http://ecommercetimes.com/story/Jtc4C3AO...oney.xhtml
The problem with a Google Checkout only online storefront is the same one has with a PayPal only storefront . . . it doesn't pass my Mom test. 

My Mom has a computer.  My Mom has a credit card.  My Mom makes purchases online.

My Mom does not use PayPal to make purchases on line.  I don't think my Mom has ever heard of Google Checkout.

My Mom does NOT like learning new tricks.  If she was at a website wanting to buy a widget and the only ways to pay were either PayPal and/or Google, she'd click "back" and find a merchant who accepted credit cards in the old fashioned traditional way. 
Quote:My Mom does NOT like learning new tricks. 

Laughing7

Quote:My Mom does NOT like learning new tricks.  If she was at a website wanting to buy a widget and the only ways to pay were either PayPal and/or Google, she'd click "back" and find a merchant who accepted credit cards in the old fashioned traditional way.

Good point, Iron Chick.  Thumbsup  All ecomm merchants NEED a merchant account!
Quote:All ecomm merchants NEED a merchant account!

Absolutely right.  Unless you sell exclusively on eBaY or Amazon, you need to accept credit cards.

[quote author=maggie777 link=topic=6172.msg34680#msg34680 date=1165094503]
Quote:All ecomm merchants NEED a merchant account!

Absolutely right.  Unless you sell exclusively on eBaY or Amazon, you need to accept credit cards.
[/quote]

..but I read on the eBay boards all I need is a few PayPal buttons on my page. Everyone uses PayPal. Confusedarcasm1:
Quote:Everyone uses PayPal.

Yeeeah, buddy!  If everyone is all of 10%!

Confusedarcasm1: