TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Camera Buyer Leaves eBay for Craigslist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:The overall mark of eBay is its extreme efficiency...

This efficiency means that cameras which I’d like to buy are usually too expensive for my budget. So I left eBay and started using Craig’s list. Craig’s list is totally unlike eBay. Search capabilities are minimal. There are no "histories" associated with sellers and buyers. There are no services like PAYPAL. Most importantly, it is organized geographically, so you deal with locals.

Dealing with locals has several advantages: there are no shipping costs, you can avoid some scams by dealing face to face, and you can check out the merchandize before you buy. The last advantage is key. Once in a while, you can get a working camera in good condition for a song and you don’t waste your money on broken junk.

Now for the disadvantages: it’s not as well-organized as eBay, it has fewer offerings, and, more importantly, it is dominated by occasional and personal equipment sellers...

full article: http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/boukhonine5.html
Cameras were 2 of the worst buying experiences on eBay--and we have bought a lot over the years. One was grossly delayed and the other they purposly sent the wrong color and told us "what difference does it make". We had to pay the return shipping to get the right one--they were obnoxious. At least we got the merchandise in the end. I won't do that again though...  Angry1 Kim
Cameras are one category I haven't had a problem with on eBay.  I bought a couple of old Kiev rangefinder cameras from the Ukraine and a new Zenit SLR with several lenses from Russia a few years ago.

Oh, well you bought yours from the Ukraine and Russia. I bought mine from NEW YORK (ducking  Duckie LOL!) Kim
[quote author=DecorativeDishes link=topic=6191.msg35074#msg35074 date=1165279583]
Oh, well you bought yours from the Ukraine and Russia. I bought mine from NEW YORK (ducking  Duckie LOL!) Kim
[/quote]

The Ukraine is safer than New York.  There are a group of sleazy camera stores based in Brooklyn/Manhattan that operate several online stores and on eBay

http://community.tuliptools.com/index.ph...508.0.html