TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Memo to marketers: Consumers still hate you and are blocking your ads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:In the past two years, the number of consumers using pop-up blockers and spam filters has more than doubled, according to a new study, "Consumers Love to Hate Advertising," from Forrester Research. More than half of all American households now report using these ad blocking technologies to block unwanted pitches.

Broadband households have become even harder to reach: some 81% of those with high-speed Internet access employ pop-up blockers and spam filters...

The report suggests that marketers, media agencies, and publishers should see the stabilization of dislike as a sign of hope. At the same time, it warns that companies "cannot afford to ignore consumer distaste for advertising."

And that distaste is strong: "Only 13% of consumers admit that they buy products because of their ads, and a paltry 6% believe that companies generally tell the truth in ads,"...

full article: http://www.informationweek.com/internet/...=196601694
I INTENSELY dislike intrusive online advertising. I especially hate it when I am viewing something, and I am suddenly required to complete a stupid survey or whatever! Tongue2

DOWN with intrusive advertising! Smileykoolaid Spam4
I love Firefox because I can block images from specific domains and also block all flash, unless I choose to view it. The only ads I can't block are google text, which don't bother me, and ads that are hosted on the domain I'm on. I could block those, too, but then would not see any of the normal images. I will never go back to IE.