TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Linux inspired OScar project hopes to build an open source Car
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:The computer operating system Linux and the Web browser Firefox are generally considered the two biggest successes of the movement to develop open-source programs—software anyone can modify, transform, and redistribute back into the community. While there are thousands of other examples, Linux and Firefox have managed to mount serious competition to established commercial products, and have therefore come to represent this specific, collective mode of creation...

So here's a question: Can open-source practices and approaches be applied to make hardware, to create tangible and physical objects, including complex ones? Say, to build a car?

Markus Merz believes they can. The young German is the founder and "maintainer" (that's the title on his business card) of the OScar project, whose goal is to develop and build a car according to open-source (OS) principles. Merz and his team aren't going for a super-accessorized SUV—they're aiming at designing a simple and functionally smart car. And, possibly, along the way, reinvent transportation. After all, "Form follows function", says Merz...

full article: http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/con...a.rss1208a
What a great idea! Kudos to Merz! Thumbsup
Interesting concept.

Best wishes for their success. It could turn the car industry on its ear, something I personally would like to see.
I'm the founder of Project JEZway, the first open source subway car.  Gen074
[quote author=jezebel link=topic=6258.msg35894#msg35894 date=1165711263]
I'm the founder of Project JEZway, the first open source subway car.  Gen074
[/quote]

Happy001 Happy001