TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Homeland Security Chief Defends Rollout of Upcoming Real ID National ID Cards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff on Thursday defended forthcoming national ID cards as vital for security and consistent with privacy rights.

Chertoff said one of his agency's top goals next year is to forge ahead with recommendations for the controversial documents established by a federal law called the Real ID Act in May 2005. By 2008, Americans may be required to present such federally approved cards--which must be electronically readable--to travel on an airplane, open a bank account or take advantage of myriad government services such as Social Security.

"I think this is an example (of) when security and privacy go hand in hand," the Homeland Security chief said in a half-hour speech at George Washington University here. "It is a win-win for both."...

full article: http://news.com.com/Homeland+Security+ch...g=nefd.top
Quote:while keeping out terrorists and other wrongdoers,

I'm afraid that "wrongdoers" will be defined as those with opposing political viewpoints to the current administration.  National ID cards will move this country one step closer to becoming a police state where surveillance of all citizens is the norm.
Quote:I'm afraid that "wrongdoers" will be defined as those with opposing political viewpoints to the current administration.  National ID cards will move this country one step closer to becoming a police state where surveillance of all citizens is the norm.

I agree with your assessment, Rose. Depressing. Tongue2