TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Survey of Sellers by eBay Software Maker says "Seller confidence is strong"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
survey of eBay sellers done by an eBay software maker

Quote:Conclusions

Overall, eBay sellers are a somewhat satisfied group that aren’t quite satisfied with eBay as a partner in their business, mostly due to fees and store policies. They are relatively happy with the direction of their business – even more so if they’ve taken the leap to selling on eBay full time – a good sign for eBay and the strength of their online auction marketplace given that their most intimate customers are their most ardent supporters, without signs of disillusionment. Sellers are taking a wait-n-see attitude toward the upcoming holiday season with newer sellers showing more confidence than veteran eBay’ers. Across the board, sellers are confident and optimistic about the future. We’ll continue to track future developments in order to assess how market pressures and eBay policy changes affect sellers.

full survey: http://www.marketblast.com/support/repor...06_12.html
How does this:
"Overall, eBay sellers are a somewhat satisfied group that aren’t quite satisfied with eBay as a partner in their business"

Add up to this:
their most intimate customers are their most ardent supporters, without signs of disillusionment. Happy001
and this:
"Across the board, sellers are confident and optimistic about the future."

NOT!!!

I am assuming (from the obvious lack of research) that the "writer"/hack, did not visit the discussion boards. The boards  would have been a very good place to take the "temperature" of the selling community, rather than just speaking to the ebay designated sellers or conducting a half-assed survey. Violent1
A "Seller Satisfaction and Loyalty" survey arrived in my email last week, which I completed.  There did not seem to be many 'trick' questions in it, that I could tell.  If you answered that you also had your own personal website, it immediately took you to several pages with questions regarding your web site and how successful it really was, compared to ebay sales. 

The only portion that was really lacking was the 'tell us what ONE thing you would change about ebay to make it better" area.  My guess is most folks actually listed 5 or 10 'things' to make ebay better.  The ability was there to totally and completely negate the site, and I took truthful advantage with my answers.
Quote:several pages with questions regarding your web site and how successful it really was, compared to ebay sales.

People can see our websites.  They couldn't see our eBay Stores.  Smile 

Our eBay "media" store was averaging 100 daily page views when we closed it in May.  The new website that replaced it  received 4500 page views yesterday--and the website is only 25% stocked at the moment (it should be fully stocked by February).
Quote:The boards  would have been a very good place to take the "temperature" of the selling community,

The eBay Stores board is depressing this holiday season.  I've never seen so many "I'm closing my store and giving up" posts on that board before--especially during the holiday shopping season.
[quote author=amy link=topic=6393.msg37722#msg37722 date=1166729392]
Quote:The boards  would have been a very good place to take the "temperature" of the selling community,

The eBay Stores board is depressing this holiday season.  I've never seen so many "I'm closing my store and giving up" posts on that board before--especially during the holiday shopping season.
[/quote]

It's sad considering how many people rely/relied on ebay to support their families. I think January will see many more additional store closings. Tongue
Quote:The only portion that was really lacking was the 'tell us what ONE thing you would change about ebay to make it better" area.  My guess is most folks actually listed 5 or 10 'things' to make ebay better.  The ability was there to totally and completely negate the site, and I took truthful advantage with my answers.

I also responded to this survey which seemed to be eBay's acknowledgment that people really are moving on to running their own stores. When I got to the question about what ONE thing I would change, I responded that since so many areas of eBay seem to be working poorly that eBay needs sweeping change in upper management which could provide not only a new direction but a fresh set of eyes to review the lingering problems which have not been addressed over the past few years.

There is no way that eBay is going to improve with its current management who feel that tinkering with this or that is a substitute for building a healthy, safe and fair marketplace.

Bob
More people will indeed close their stores once the holiday buzz is gone.

I have purchased one item off of eBay in the last 6 months. One. Under normal circumstances,I would have supported others by purchasing hundreds of items I needed during that time span. Not anymore, though.

The reason I bought it? It was cheap. Ebay Has truly become the definitive internet dollar store.

The reason(s) I don't buy from there anymore? Numerous.

Seller confidence is out the window. The software company that claims it's holding steady is just clinging to their own customer base; eBay sellers. If they make it sound like eBay's faltering, they lost money. Simple as that.

I never usually get those quizzes from eBay, although I do remember one back in September that I was brutally honest on.

One might also say that Buyer confidence is waning as well.

Quote:One might also say that Buyer confidence is waning as well.

The message buyers receive from the media has turned ugly. Artucles on Ebay fraud now out number the ones about finding bargains.
Quote:It was cheap. Ebay Has truly become the definitive internet dollar store.

Specializing in cheap, fake (presented as real) items! 8)