TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Newbie Wanting a Webstore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Ack.  So I'm pretty much ready to be done with eBay by now and market my ownself on my own store site.  I'm pretty savvy with HTML but a shopping cart is an absolute must.

Thinking of payment options, like only personal checks, PP, Google checkout, and money orders.

But do I need a tax license and all that stuff?

Can ya point me in the right direction to taking the step out of my comfort zone and beginning the branding of my own store?

Thanks y'all,
Miranda
[quote author=princessmirandajo link=topic=6396.msg37732#msg37732 date=1166736114]
Ack.  So I'm pretty much ready to be done with eBay by now and market my ownself on my own store site.  I'm pretty savvy with HTML but a shopping cart is an absolute must.[/quote]

There are 2 options:

1.  A hosted cart: Shoppal, Prestostores, Citymax, etc..  Benefits: fast setup, small learning curve.  Negatives: cost, limited customization options compared to standalone websites, you have to start over if you change cart hosts.

2.  Cart on your own website: Benefits: completely customizable, you can take it with you if you change hosts, you're in complete control, lower cost  Negatives: longer setup time, bigger learning curve at first.  The hard part is setting up the store - after it's setup and opened it's as easy to use as a hosted cart.  Free carts are available like osCommerce, ZenCart, CRELoaded, and Cube Cart.

Quote:Thinking of payment options, like only personal checks, PP, Google checkout, and money orders.

Most carts come with these options.  For Google Checkout you might have to install a free mod.  Eventually you'll want a merchant account because most people use credit cards.

Quote:But do I need a tax license and all that stuff?

You don't need anything different than you needed at eBay.  Eventually a tax license, business license would be advisable.
I agree with everything that Regic said except that I would advise getting a tax number right away. Many suppliers require it before they will sell to you and a tax number will save you having to pay sales taxes on items that you purchase to resell.
I'll install cre loaded for free if you need, but yes getting it set up and configured beyond that is time consuming.

But your own shopping cart like oscommerce, cre loaded, zen cart, agora cart etc is the best way to go in the long run, it just takes some time to get it going is all.
Quote:1.  A hosted cart: Shoppal, Prestostores, Citymax, etc..  Benefits: fast setup, small learning curve.  Negatives: cost, limited customization options compared to standalone websites, you have to start over if you change cart hosts.

The hosted carts are easy to set up. If you want to get your site up quickly, this is the way to go.

Quote:2.  Cart on your own website: Benefits: completely customizable, you can take it with you if you change hosts, you're in complete control, lower cost  Negatives: longer setup time, bigger learning curve at first.  The hard part is setting up the store - after it's setup and opened it's as easy to use as a hosted cart.  Free carts are available like osCommerce, ZenCart, CRELoaded, and Cube Cart.

This is, as Regic implied, the better way to go. BUT, it will take you either A LOT of time or money. A very steep learning curve unless you are willing to pay a designer to do the initial set-up for you.
Btw, most of these carts use php and css----if you are familiar with those, the learning curve would not be as big a deal for you as it has been for some of us. Tard

:hoxmasm11:
I have a Shoppal store that is humming along very nicely. It is an excellent set-up for those used to eBay. Their forums are very helpful as well.

I have also recieved a ton of valuable info from this board. THANKS again guys  Icon_thumright Kim
I'm learning CSS as we speak.  Anyone using PSU stores???
oh yes - having my own domain is a must, so I will be purchasing that as well.

so these carts - these are what you carry around, let's say to a free hosting site (like bravenet or 50webs) or like tuliphosting or the latter, right?  the cart is all code-based????

are my questions making sense??

THANKS!!!
[quote author=princessmirandajo link=topic=6396.msg37809#msg37809 date=1166762749]
oh yes - having my own domain is a must, so I will be purchasing that as well.

so these carts - these are what you carry around, let's say to a free hosting site (like bravenet or 50webs) or like tuliphosting or the latter, right?  the cart is all code-based????

THANKS!!!
[/quote]

I think that was supposed to say "tuliphosting or the like", but I really am not sure.  ??? ???
[quote author=princessmirandajo link=topic=6396.msg37811#msg37811 date=1166762833]
let's say to a free hosting site (like bravenet or 50webs) or like tuliphosting or the latter, right?  the cart is all code-based????

THANKS!!!
[/quote]

Never use the free hosting sites if you are really serious about having your own website for the long haul
Pages: 1 2 3 4