TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: How Hackers Are Using Google To Pwn Your Site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Quote:As most of you know a few months back my site was hacked. What many people dont know is that was actually the first of 2 times the box was hacked. The first time the box was hacked I had made the mistake of making the web files on the server writeable by the web server. Again being this server (that my blog sits on) is not used for hardly any commercial activity I was a lot less security focus then something I would call “production” ready. I implemented mod_security and some other logging tools aswell as offloaded the server logs to a different server (yea the logs were owned by the apache user also).

So basically when I got owned the person found a file on my server that was web accessible which then he could execute commands on behalf of the web user. Now because the files and log files were owned by this user he could write to them and even delete them. Lucky for me this guy just wanted to put up his Turkish political statement and try to infect his virus to people. So all he did was dosearch on the box for any index.* files and copied his index file to over write them. Then he also deleted all files matching *log. So it was pretty obvious how the person did it but I was not sure what file was the hole in my system. This is the point where you have to weigh catching the hacker vs running a box that has been compromised. Since I really only have blogs and a few low traffic forums running on this box I thought it would be a good chance to see what was vulnerable.

So I installed mod_security and ran it pretty hardcore. Over the next couple weeks.............

http://www.shoemoney.com/2006/12/26/how-...your-site/
What chmod should most regular viewable files be set at? 666?

[quote author=thentavius link=topic=6456.msg38259#msg38259 date=1167243786]
What chmod should most regular viewable files be set at? 666?

[/quote]