TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: X-Cart and LiteCommerce Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am trying to decide between x-cart and litecommerce(same company, dif cart).

So far, it seems to me that LC is simply a "lighter" version of x-cart, with the added bonus of being able to edit it in html-----YAH! It also has a site design feature which enables you to completely customize your site.

I would appreciate any thoughts/insight  on this!

http://www.litecommerce.com/ecommerce-software.html

http://www.litecommerce.com/comparison_chart.html
Found this on sitepoint forums:

Ruslan R. Fazliev,
CEO(xcart) Wrote:
LiteCommerce was built keeping in mind "Make It Simpler For The User Who Does Not Want His Shopping Cart To Be Similar To A Space Shuttle" concept. Most of the differences from X-Cart are related to this concept. We had to completely change the cart architecture to make upgrading easier, to make creating of modules easier, etc...

With LiteCommerce, it is pretty easy to change logos, design and other "common" things. It is much easier for a beginner to use.

So:
LiteCommerce is not better than X-Cart.
X-Cart is not better than LiteCommerce.

But:
For some people, LiteCommerce is MUCH BETTER than X-Cart.
For some people, X-Cart is MUCH BETTER than LiteCommerce.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134363&page=2
Quote:With LiteCommerce, it is pretty easy to change logos, design and other "common" things. It is much easier for a beginner to use.

The ability to edit the templates in a WYSIWYG editor would make it much easier for a beginner since templates/design are what most new storeowners seem to spend most time on when setting up their stores.

The one thing I don't like is the cost of add-ons.  If you add a few add-ons/features, Lite Commerce could wind up costing you more than X-Cart.

Quote:The ability to edit the templates in a WYSIWYG editor would make it much easier for a beginner since templates/design are what most new storeowners seem to spend most time on when setting up their stores.

This is the part that appeals to me-----I always hate the templates! I applied for a quote from x-cart for customization using my graphics, layout, etc. The minimum price will be $350---I suspect that will go up closer to $1000----and it does not include any customization of functionality. Tongue1
In LC, I can use html to code the appearance myself.(of course that may mean I have a totally whacked out site too Smileyyellowbang  )

Quote:The one thing I don't like is the cost of add-ons.  If you add a few add-ons/features, Lite Commerce could wind up costing you more than X-Cart.

Me too. But, many of the add-ons are gratis right now and I think I may still wind up coming in under the cost for the xcart+customization.

Still thinking though. Or pondering as Hep would say. Laughing7
you could always go with zen cart, or cre loaded....

they have almost everything you can imagine for a ecommerce site.

then you could purchase a template from algozone, or monster templates.  The templates from them are easy to customize to your liking, they all come with photshop files.

Now if needed and you find a template you like for those, I could tweak it in photshop for you so you have your own look. Thumbsup

edited to ad:

for instance cre loaded is free, so for the cost of the template from one of those sites, is about all you would be out, wich run around $150.00 per template.
Quote:So far, it seems to me that LC is simply a "lighter" version of x-cart, with the added bonus of being able to edit it in html-----YAH! It also has a site design feature which enables you to completely customize your site.

This is true.

One of the bummer parts I'm seeing is that the X-Cart support forums are focused on X-Cart Pro or X-Cart Gold, with few of the same fix-its applying to LiteCommerce as well (although there are some universal fix-its and tips discussed).

Quote:The ability to edit the templates in a WYSIWYG editor would make it much easier for a beginner since templates/design are what most new storeowners seem to spend most time on when setting up their stores.

The one thing I don't like is the cost of add-ons.  If you add a few add-ons/features, Lite Commerce could wind up costing you more than X-Cart.

This is true, too.

While there are additional mods that you can buy for the regular X Carts, it already comes with a goodly amount of stuff for the main price.

You also do have a good degree of flexibility with the look and feel of X Cart Pro, but it DOES use Smarty / PHP / CSS instead of HTML as the primary design techniques. So...

Quote:then you could purchase a template from algozone, or monster templates.

We're using an Algozone template ($160) in ZenCart #1, a Zen4me template ($70 but we bought it on sale for $25) in Zen #2, and Dezinacart templates ($50 each) in Zens #3 and #4.  Tongue
Quote:This is the part that appeals to me-----I always hate the templates! I applied for a quote from x-cart for customization using my graphics, layout, etc. The minimum price will be $350---I suspect that will go up closer to $1000----and it does not include any customization of functionality.
In LC, I can use html to code the appearance myself.(of course that may mean I have a totally whacked out site too

I'd go with LC then.
Quote:Now if needed and you find a template you like for those, I could tweak it in photshop for you so you have your own look.

Kirk, you really are a sweetheart--thank you for the offer of help!!

Unfortunately, I am afraid of zen and I hate Oscommerce.  Tongue3

regic Wrote:I'd go with LC then.

I am leaning more and more that way. Once I get a firm quote from the x-cart guy, I'll make a final decision.
Just an update. Smile

After talking extensively to the x-cart guy, I decided to go with the X-cart, rather than LC. If I hate it, I can switch within a 30-day period.  Sunny

I just completed the purchase and could use some help installing (I have no clue!).!! Tard

Btw, for anyone else considering Litecommerce, one of the differences is that it can slow down considerably (according to the rep) if you add a lot of product.

Pages: 1 2