TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Create an In-House Photo Studio for Your Product Photography
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Quote:Building an in-house photo studio
(Easy and inexpensive)

Our article on the Swiss Watch and a number of other references to our in-house photography studio has promped a wave of inquiries from readers. Since Dennis Curtin is presenting an elegant presentation on digital photography for us, it seemed only fitting that we share some of our experiences down here in the trenches.

For years we've done our own in-house photography when it came to small objects, products or details within the scope of our home-made studio. Early on I learned many tricks while working with Master Photographer Hubert Gentry -- whom I still rely on once the job goes beyond 35mm format. Sometimes I need a particularly spectacular results that I just can't get this side of New York -- so I call Hubert.

An in-house studio, or "Desktop Studio" is not difficult to set up, nor should it cost you very much. Don't think for a minute that this is the complete and full story. It's only meant to give you the basics that I know will work for you. There are hundreds of variations on this subject and I expect to hear from those of you who have similar studios. Let's hear your tips too!

Four rules for an in-house photo studio:

1. Scalability: Don't bite off more than you can chew. Set up to handle only that which will fit comfortably onto a tabletop. Once you leave the realm of objects larger than about 2-feet cube you're asking for trouble or a huge expense in equipment.

http://www.graphic-design.com/photograph...index.html
I saw this post, and bookmarked the page, just never replied.

thanx Thumbsup

I am working on making a studio/light box.  My first attempts have not been that great.
[quote author=WebGraphicsSource link=topic=6493.msg38855#msg38855 date=1167693602]
I saw this post, and bookmarked the page, just never replied.

thanx Thumbsup

I am working on making a studio/light box.  My first attempts have not been that great.
[/quote]

I use a cloud dome, 2 studio lights and a "sparkler" light for translucent gems.
Really though, if your weather allows it, natural light outside (not direct sunlight) is the way to go!