TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: auto-return will not work - help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have my site hosted with wahmshoppes feature cart. Their help boards are not that helpful on this subject and neither is paypal so I've come here!

After someone pays me thru paypal after buying something from my website, I want them to be redirected to a certain page on my website for further instructions and to thank them. I do not want the IPN or PDT to work, I just want them to be returned to this particular instruction page. I have auto return on, a valid URL but when someone who has paid for their order clicks on 'Return to Merchant' it says:
NOT FOUND
The requested URL /us/cgi-bin/www.mywebsitename.com was not found on this server.

(I replaced my real website name with mywebsitename for the example above.)

Why would it show this and what am I suppose to do?
2 things to check:

1. In your PayPal account, go to profiles> Website Payment Preferences and make sure that 1. auto return is set to on 2. make sure that the URL you entered in the box is the full URL including http and domain name: http://www.domain.com/returnpage.html

2. If that doesn't work try using either your PayPal account's primary or administrative email as the payment address for your site (this one applies more to IPN on some carts)
Check, check and check. Still doesn't work. I've been reading about setting the IPN and PDT or whatever and I'm lost at where to start with those!
Quote:NOT FOUND
The requested URL /us/cgi-bin/www.mywebsitename.com was not found on this server.

Is the error message shown on the PayPal site or is it on your site?

[quote author=sflouden link=topic=6508.msg38909#msg38909 date=1167728014]
Check, check and check. Still doesn't work. I've been reading about setting the IPN and PDT or whatever and I'm lost at where to start with those!
[/quote]

There are 3 settings on your PayPal account to set:
Instant Payment Notification (IPN) On
Instant Payment Notification (IPN) URL (IPN URL of your cart)
and in Website Payments Preferences set your Automatic Return URL (return URL of your cart)

The settings you need to set on your cart vary from cart to cart. Most carts you'll need to give your main PayPal email and the PayPal URL you want to use which is either:
www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr or www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr

There are several others on the WAHM forum with the same problem.  PayPal probably made announced change or has a temporary glitch.  The owner/software maker of wahmshoppes.com will probably need to contct PayPal since several people are effected.
Yes, have my email address the same for WahmShoppes cart and my primary email on PayPal. I have had this feeling it was WahmShoppes and not something as I was doing because I've done everything everyone suggested and PayPal suggested plus the fact that a few others have this problem. Getting the guy who owns WahmShoppes to change or update is like asking God to come down and give me a million dollars-ain't gonna happen. 

Thanks anyway guys (and gals.)
Crybaby2
Quote:I have had this feeling it was WahmShoppes and not something as I was doing because I've done everything everyone

You've done everything right.

I hope that Wahmshoppes gets it worked out with PayPal soon.  Sad