TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay! Canada! Raises! Core! FEES!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
eBay Canada announcement:
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/ca/200701.shtml#...1-03181720

Core Auction-Style and Fixed Price Insertion Fees* in US$:
Starting Price New Fee Current Fee
US$1.00 - US$9.99 US$0.40 US$0.35

Core Auction-Style and Fixed Price Insertion Fees* in C$:
C$1.00 - C$11.99 C$0.47 C$0.41

Final Value Fees (Core Auction-Style and Fixed Price Listings*) in US$:
Selling Price New Fee Current Fee
US$25.01 - US$1000.00 3.25% 3.00%

Final Value Fees (Core Auction-Style and Fixed Price Listings*) in C$:
C$30.01 - C$1200.00 3.25% 3.00%

eBay.ca Motors Transaction Services and Reserve Fees in US$:
Category New Fee Current Fee
Motorcycles & Powersports Transaction Services Fee US$40 US$30
Cars & Trucks, Other Vehicles & Trailers Transaction Services Fee US$50 US$40
Motors Reserve Fee 0.1% of reserve price (US$5 minimum, US$10 maximum) US$5

eBay.ca Motors Transaction Services and Reserve Fees in C$:
Motorcycles & Powersports Transaction Services Fee C$47 C$35
Cars & Trucks, Other Vehicles & Trailers Transaction Services Fee C$58 C$48
Motors Reserve Fee 0.1% of reserve price (C$5.90 minimum, C$12 maximum) C$5.90

Quote:
03 January, 2007 | 18:18

Bill Cobb

An important part of any business strategy is the regular evaluation of pricing structure. From time to time, we make pricing changes to correct unhealthy dynamics in the eBay marketplace, as was the case last July. Typically, however, we make changes on an annual basis at the beginning of the year.

Today, I'm here to tell you about fee adjustments for eBay.ca which go into effect on January 30, 2007:

Core Auction-Style and Fixed Price Insertion Fees* in US$:
US$1.00 - US$9.99 US$0.40 US$0.35
* Does not impact store inventory listings

Core Auction-Style and Fixed Price Insertion Fees* in C$:
C$1.00 - C$11.99 C$0.47 C$0.41

Final Value Fees (Core Auction-Style and Fixed Price Listings*) in US$:
US$25.01 - US$1000.00 3.25% 3.00%

Final Value Fees (Core Auction-Style and Fixed Price Listings*) in C$:
C$30.01 - C$1200.00 3.25% 3.00%

eBay.ca Motors Transaction Services and Reserve Fees in US$:
Motorcycles & Powersports Transaction Services Fee US$40 US$30
Cars & Trucks, Other Vehicles & Trailers Transaction Services Fee US$50 US$40
Motors Reserve Fee 0.1% of reserve price (US$5 minimum, US$10 maximum) US$5

eBay.ca Motors Transaction Services and Reserve Fees in C$:
Motorcycles & Powersports Transaction Services Fee C$47 C$35
Cars & Trucks, Other Vehicles & Trailers Transaction Services Fee C$58 C$48
Motors Reserve Fee 0.1% of reserve price (C$5.90 minimum, C$12 maximum) C$5.90

Let me say that, while we believe these changes are modest, we consider any changes that may impact our sellers with great care. These adjustments are the result of careful analysis and we believe they're the right thing to do to keep the marketplace strong for our eBay.ca sellers.

To learn more about each of these changes, I invite you to read our Frequently Asked Questions and our eBay Fees Help page. (These same fee changes will also be taking place on eBay.com. To learn more about the eBay.com adjustments, please check the Announcement Board for eBay.com.)

A Successful Online Holiday Shopping Season
As I've said many times, one of our most important jobs here at eBay is ensuring that we're driving buyers to the site. This online holiday shopping season was a big success, and I want to acknowledge the outstanding efforts this last quarter from our marketing team led by Gary Briggs. Our integrated "IT" campaign performed well for the second year in a row, reaching our targeted shoppers an average of 13 times per person.

In fact, according to Nielsen NetRatings, overall traffic to online shopping sites on the day after US Thanksgiving (known as "Black Friday") grew 12% from last year--and eBay was the number one shopping destination that day with an impressive 7.5 million unique visitors. But the good news didn't stop there. This momentum continued through the weekend to "Cyber Monday" (the Monday after US Thanksgiving), which has become associated with peak online holiday shopping activity. I'm pleased to report that Nielsen declared eBay the most visited internet site that day, too, with 5.6 million visitors.

November was also an impressive month in Canada where, according to ComScore Media Metrix, unique monthly visitors grew 42% over last year.

Of course, our shelves need to be well-stocked when the buyers arrive, so these results are testament to the partnership we have with our dedicated sellers. We can all be proud of our joint success in pleasing shoppers with whatever "IT" was this season.

eBay.ca in French
In Canada this October, we celebrated the launch of eBay.ca in French. French speaking Canadians have made a wonderful contribution to the eBay Canada community and we're pleased to offer a site that meets their needs directly.

The ability to now market eBay in both English and French directly impacts buyer demand, strengthening the vibrancy of the marketplace by increasing French product availability and drawing more Francophone users to www.eBay.ca.

More to come in 2007
Looking ahead at the new year, it's never been more important that eBay deliver value through our marketing investments, product initiatives, and Trust & Safety strategies. Times have changed from 11 years ago when we were a small innovative idea on the internet. Quite frankly, some of the problems demanding our attention are more complex. But what inspires me every morning--and what I hope inspires you, too--is that the opportunities for eBay and its Community to succeed by celebrating what makes us unique have never been greater.

Later this month, I'll be addressing a group of eBay sellers who will be here in person in the San Jose area, and I'll be sharing some of our plans and priorities for the coming year. My keynote speech will be available via a recorded Webcast for our whole Community (more details will be available soon) and we'll be following the event with more announcements on specific initiatives. I think you'll find we're taking a surprisingly fresh look at some of the old challenges, and I'm excited about the road ahead.

On behalf of everyone at eBay, I wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Sincerely,

Bill Cobb
President, eBay North America
GO BILL GO!

Ebay... absolutely the ONLY company we do business with that has raised their rates EVERY YEAR... sometime TWICE.

Fortunately, the amount of business we do with them anymore is negligible.

Have the annual cheerleaders come out yet spouting their "It's only a nickel!" rants, yet?

Laughing7

I'm actually surprised they didn't lower the 99p tier... AGAIN.

Cheers

NOTE TO MODS - feel free to move to the OTHER ebay fee hike thread!  Wink
Quote:Have the annual cheerleaders come out yet spouting their "It's only a nickel!" rants, yet?

I saw a few.  My favorite was during the last fee hike when a cheerleader with $88 in monthly sales, 10 listings, and eBay fees of under $10 monthly spouted the line.  Laughing7

[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=6530.msg39178#msg39178 date=1167880547]
Quote:Have the annual cheerleaders come out yet spouting their "It's only a nickel!" rants, yet?

I saw a few.  My favorite was during the last fee hike when a cheerleader with $88 in monthly sales, 10 listings, and eBay fees of under $10 monthly spouted the line.  Laughing7

[/quote]

Ahhh, how typical!  It amazes me how many times we hear that sort of thing every year when the rates go up.  What they don't get is, it isn't just THIS nickel... it was the nickel last year, the dime the year before, the 30% the year before that and so on and so on... all the while sell-through and ending prices are going down.  Big Grin

I'm expecting another mid-term hike this year, as well.

Quote:What they don't get is, it isn't just THIS nickel... it was the nickel last year, the dime the year before, the 30% the year before that and so on and so on... all the while sell-through and ending prices are going down.

It's a nickel if sellthru is 100%  It's a quarter when sellthru is 20%   BangHead
$0.40 x 100 listings = $40.00.
$0.40 x 1000 listings = $400.00
(not counting relistings, PayPal feels, final value fees if you're "lucky," time wasted, etc. etc.).

Hmmmm....