TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Virtuemart/Joomla - way confused
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
thanks - you're asking all of the question I KNOW I need the answers to.

Laughing7
Angryfire BangHead Angryfire BangHead

Ok. All I want to do is change the height of this particular frontpage item - the Welcome to Randa's Resale blurb.  I view source, I look at the CSS in the template and I see possibilities of what i could change but I can't tell ya which one for sure.  And I'm getting aggravated.  Maybe I should change templates.  This one doesn't seem very store friendly.  Does it to you all?  

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Finethings - be prepared for patient work and a lot of time before your site is up and ready to market.  
Finethings -

I really am loving this so far.  I hate that I can't find the answers right away and that it's taken me literally all day JUST to basically delete some stuff, create and upload some more images, and ask a bunch of questions.  I also HATE that I have to come here to ask questions because the people on the joomla and virtuemart forums aren't moving fast enough for me (LOL).

that's not to say that I hate asking questions here, because I don't - I always get great and fast answers, I just feel bad for bugging everybody here.  :oops:  Are ya sick of me yet?

CUZ I'M FAR FROM DONE...

Ok, so about the templates and getting a new one.  I've asked this question in a thousand places today and no one wants to answer it, apparently, so maybe you can help BBH.  If I download a joomla template, insert the codes in the proper place or install it or whatever I have to do, how will I know it will work with virtuemart and setting up like a store instead of just a page?  Would that be modules or whatever that I can turn on and off?

[quote author=FineThings4U link=topic=6554.msg39420#msg39420 date=1168032584]
thanks - you're asking all of the question I KNOW I need the answers to.

Laughing7
[/quote]

Hopefully I can pay it forward with you when you start your site.  After going through all this garbage with WP, now eBay raising fees again (big surprise), I think everyone should have their own website.  I'm willing to help with whatever I can. Smile

Don't let me discourage you.  This will take a lot of work and patience (I lack patience lol, I just hit the computer screen and swear and then I feel better) but I know it will be worth it!

edited to plug myself: haha, I'm terrible.  But all those pretty blue graphics, banners, and buttons you see on randasresale - yeah I made those.    Occasion18  :turkey2:
Quote:PHP register_globals setting is `ON` instead of `OFF`
Please check the Official Joomla! Server Security post for more information.

That server is setup to have register_globals on.  I changed the globals.php file to emulate register globals off though to fix the security (you'll still receive the other message).

There are some 3rd party written add-ons for Joomla that require register_globals to be on so at some point the emulation may have to be turned back on if you install any of them.

EDIT:
Quote:This will take a lot of work and patience (I lack patience lol, I just hit the computer screen and swear and then I feel better) but I know it will be worth it!

You've done a lot of work today.  The site looks completely different than it did this morning.
Remember Joe Peshi on Home Alone when he gets aggravated and starts his mumbling jargon?  That's me.  All day.  

My problem is I'm fairly HTML and graphically inclined, but all these modules, programming, etc = have no clue.   :blinkie:
[quote author=regic link=topic=6554.msg39424#msg39424 date=1168033363]
Quote:PHP register_globals setting is `ON` instead of `OFF`
Please check the Official Joomla! Server Security post for more information.

That server is setup to have register_globals on.  I changed the globals.php file to emulate register globals off though to fix the security (you'll still receive the other message).

There are some 3rd party written add-ons for Joomla that require register_globals to be on so at some point the emulation may have to be turned back on if you install any of them.
[/quote]

So should I change it and turn it off?
Quote:how will I know it will work with virtuemart and setting up like a store instead of just a page?

try this search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&rls=GGGL%2CGGGL%3A2006-26%2CGGGL%3Aen&q=%22+virtuemart+templates%22&btnG=Search
All of those should work with Virtuemart

Quote:So should I change it and turn it off?

No, I changed the Joomla globals file to emulate globals off to reduce any security risks.  Since the server itself uses globals on you'll still get that message in admin but you can ignore it.
Thank you regic.

You all are beyond kind!!!    Notworthy
Ok, need some more help.  So far, I've been editing the CSS file, I don't have a FTP client like FileZilla or whatever.  Do I need one? What's the best one?  Where do I go next, I'm still stuck?

And I tried to register an account on my site and it said page not found. So how do I make that work?

edited: classic me, always trying to jump right in without reading anything.  I've got a bunch of manuals and beginners guides here, and I think I'm just going to read those before I drive myself and everyone crazy.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5