TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Review of the openSUSE 10.2 Linux Operating System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:...some of the production-quality Linux distributions like Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise excel on the stability part, but they do so by sacrificing some cutting-edge features, and they are always behind their counterparts when it comes to new technology. On the other end of the spectrum are bare-metal distributions like Gentoo Linux and the classic Debian, both of which are great for experimenting with brand-new technologies, but they don't provide the kind of long-term stability that I need for my lab...

When openSUSE 10.2 was released in December, I approached it with a combination of hope and trepidation. However, after performing an extended amount of testing, I can conclusively state that it's the first release I've seen in several years that's worthy of succeeding SUSE 9.3 as the centerpiece of my testing network. Although there are some serious kinks that still need to be worked out with some of the components, and it's quite obvious that the release as a whole would have benefited tremendously from another month or two of developer time, most of the important features work as expected out-of-the-box, and the operating system is quite stable overall. There's also a fair amount of newer technology in the base system, so this release should be usable for another couple of years...

full article: http://www.informationweek.com/news/show...=196800885&pgno=2&queryText=