TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Apple introduces iPod iPhone mobile telephone device
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Apple CEO Steve Jobs ended months of speculation unveiling an iPhone and a high-definition set top box at the Macworld Expo. The mobile phone features touch-screen functionality -- it does not have a traditional keypad. It also has built-in WiFi, Bluetooth connectivity and Web-surfing features borrowed from the Mac interface...

The iPhone, which combines the iPod digital music player with an Apple-designed mobile phone, has been rumored to be in the works for more than a year...

Despite its advanced functionality, the iPhone will be thinner than most current smartphones, at 11.6 millimeters. The phone has a built-in digital camera on the back and a connector dock for iPods...

full article: http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/g7Fp...hone.xhtml
A related article:

Quote:“The iPhone does a couple of things,” Mendelsohn says. “It will help consumers to move along the path to mobile commerce because it provides an interface that’s easier to use and interact with than some of the current mobile interface devices. And it will encourage consumers to further incorporate mobile devices into their lives.”...

A recent Forrester survey revealed that only 3% of respondents had ever made a purchase with a cell phone using a mobile payment service. There is interest however, Mendelsohn adds, largely among younger users that already use cell phones for multiple tasks. Some 12% of those who had not used a cell phone to make such a purchase would consider doing it in the future...

full article: http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=21069

bolding is mine.
Quote: There is interest however, Mendelsohn adds, largely among younger users that already use cell phones for multiple tasks. Some 12% of those who had not used a cell phone to make such a purchase would consider doing it in the future...

I would say that that percentage is much higher. The teenagers today have grown up with internet shopping--------using their cell phones to do so is not any kind of a stretch.
Quote:I would say that that percentage is much higher. The teenagers today have grown up with internet shopping--------using their cell phones to do so is not any kind of a stretch

The percentage is definitely higher in Japan, South Korea, and Europe.  The US is way behind many countries  in m-commerce.
I'm writing a murder mystery and since this announcement I've been trying to learn as much about the iPhone as possible and how it might be used in crime solving in an attempt to incorporate the use of it into my book. So thank you Mandy for posting this.
A review:

Quote:One of the most important trends in personal technology over the past few years has been the evolution of the humble cellphone into a true handheld computer, a device able to replicate many of the key functions of a laptop. But most of these "smart phones" have had lousy software, confusing user interfaces and clumsy music, video and photo playback. And their designers have struggled to balance screen size, keyboard usability and battery life...

We have been testing the iPhone for two weeks, in multiple usage scenarios, in cities across the country. Our verdict is that, despite some flaws and feature omissions, the iPhone is, on balance, a beautiful and breakthrough handheld computer. Its software, especially, sets a new bar for the smart-phone industry, and its clever finger-touch interface, which dispenses with a stylus and most buttons, works well, though it sometimes adds steps to common functions...

full article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB11828931...?mod=blogs