TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Bilingualism may help delay dementia symptoms
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:There has been much interest and growing scientific literature examining how lifestyle factors such as physical activity, education and social engagement may help build "cognitive reserve" in later years of life...

Now scientists with the Rotman Research Institute at the Baycrest Research Centre for Aging and the Brain have found the first evidence that another lifestyle factor, bilingualism, may help delay dementia symptoms...

"Our study found that speaking two languages throughout one's life appears to be associated with a delay in the onset of symptoms of dementia by four years compared to those who speak one language,"...

full article: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicaln...wsid=60646
[quote"Our study found that speaking two languages throughout one's life appears to be associated with a delay in the onset of symptoms of dementia by four years compared to those who speak one language,"][/quote]

That makes no sense to me. Learning new things throughout life is known to help delay dementia, but being bilingual?  Learning new languages makes sense, but simply continuing to speak languages you have spoken for many years--------I just don't see how that could make a difference.  Icon_scratch
[quote author=BellisimaJ. link=topic=6707.msg40541#msg40541 date=1168957233]
[quote"Our study found that speaking two languages throughout one's life appears to be associated with a delay in the onset of symptoms of dementia by four years compared to those who speak one language,"][/quote]

That makes no sense to me. Learning new things throughout life is known to help delay dementia, but being bilingual?  Learning new languages makes sense, but simply continuing to speak languages you have spoken for many years--------I just don't see how that could make a difference.  Icon_scratch
[/quote]

Usually a person will speak, read, and write in a primary language even when they are bilingual. Where the positive effect occurs is probably due to the fact that shifting from one language to the other requires the brain to work harder. It is like exercise for the brain. My husband is bilingual and whenever he has to speak,and especially write in Spanish he has to really concentrate because his primary language is English.
Chiquita, Wave

I was hoping you'd jump in there!!

Quote:Where the positive effect occurs is probably due to the fact that shifting from one language to the other requires the brain to work harder. It is like exercise for the brain.

Okay, now that makes sense to me. Big Grin

PS// Everyone in my family speaks at least 3 other languages fluently except for me. Crybaby2
[quote author=BellisimaJ. link=topic=6707.msg40558#msg40558 date=1168984055]
Chiquita, Wave

I was hoping you'd jump in there!!

Quote:Where the positive effect occurs is probably due to the fact that shifting from one language to the other requires the brain to work harder. It is like exercise for the brain.

Okay, now that makes sense to me. Big Grin

PS// Everyone in my family speaks at least 3 other languages fluently except for me. Crybaby2
[/quote]

I have trouble speaking English fluently.  :blinkie:
Laughing7

My spanish is very very very limited, and I wish I was fluent too. Especially here in New Mexico.
Quote:I have trouble speaking English fluently.

I don't think so. Laughing7

Quote:My spanish is very very very limited, and I wish I was fluent too. Especially here in New Mexico.
I had 3 years of Spanish, 4 of French and spoke only German when I was really young. I speak no German (I can still understand quite a bit)now, very little Spanish and some French. I am not fluent in any of them, darn it.  Smileyyellowbang  Maybe we should learn one of them and practice on each other here? :blinkie:
[quote author=BellisimaJ. link=topic=6707.msg40563#msg40563 date=1168985309]
[Maybe we should learn one of them and practice on each other here? :blinkie:
[/quote]

Now that would be entertaining, we could write a book.
Laughing7
I've also heard that just taking classes can help stave off dementia and alzheimer's--keeping the brain stimulated in the learning department. Keep your mind active, stay mentally awake.

I can read Spanish better than I can speak it, but I know a few important things. I can also read Latin OK and can speak & read some Japanese and Mandarin Chinese.  I only know a few phrases in Cantonese. Having taken Latin, I can also "read" French ( can get the gist of what something says based on the Latin, Spanish, and English I know--and on the context).

I'm currently studying Mandarin in depth to get more fluent with reading and writing.

Once I've passed a few more milestones in Mandarin, I hope to learn Dutch.
[quote author=chiquita link=topic=6707.msg40567#msg40567 date=1168988703]
[quote author=BellisimaJ. link=topic=6707.msg40563#msg40563 date=1168985309]
[Maybe we should learn one of them and practice on each other here? :blinkie:
[/quote]

Now that would be entertaining, we could write a book.
Laughing7
[/quote]

Sign10

[quote author=thentavius link=topic=6707.msg40570#msg40570 date=1168990137]
I've also heard that just taking classes can help stave off dementia and alzheimer's--keeping the brain stimulated in the learning department. Keep your mind active, stay mentally awake.

I can read Spanish better than I can speak it, but I know a few important things. I can also read Latin OK and can speak & read some Japanese and Mandarin Chinese.  I only know a few phrases in Cantonese. Having taken Latin, I can also "read" French ( can get the gist of what something says based on the Latin, Spanish, and English I know--and on the context).

I'm currently studying Mandarin in depth to get more fluent with reading and writing.

Once I've passed a few more milestones in Mandarin, I hope to learn Dutch.
[/quote]

Sheesh...........compared to you, I am linguistically stupid, lol.

Seriously, I have found that because I was once forced to memorize 300 Latin root words (college English class), I can determine the meaning of many words that I wouldn't otherwise understand.

I am re-teaching myself German (most of my relatives still live there----they all speak English Tard  )via cd's, just because I think I should. I practice on my brothers and Dad, all of whom laugh at my accent. Tongue1

I do think that continually learning new things is important throughout life, and can't imagine being content to just plod along without doing so---------I would be very bored.