TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Why domain parking as we know it is about to come to an end
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:I thought, it can’t be that easy. So I talked to some domainers, and they said, ‘We own 300,000 domains, we make $20 million a year, we have just four employees and some servers in the Caymans.’ I thought, ‘If you can make that much doing nothing, what if we added some Web 2.0 sprinkle so that people would come back - user publishing tools, social networking? What if we built a platform where we could snap that into as many domains as we wanted?’ That’s when the lightning bolt hit me: You’d have a company that generates its own traffic, generates its own content, and monetizes itself. It would be the perfect lazy-man’s media company!”...

full article: http://www.dailydomainer.com/news/200733...rking.html
Quote:Do you believe that Richard Rosenblatt’s plan can work? Do you think he will offer a superior alternative to the current domain parking model? Will his vertical niche sites be attractive to users? 

It'll be a superior solution until everybody is doing it.  Replacing 300,000 parked domains with 300,000 social media sites will lead to content duplication and a glut of similarly themed sites.  What will be the attraction to users?  Why would I join www.wehow.com instead of his main site www.ehow.com which has more content?
[quote author=jezebel link=topic=6825.msg41266#msg41266 date=1169756288]
It'll be a superior solution until everybody is doing it.  Replacing 300,000 parked domains with 300,000 social media sites will lead to content duplication and a glut of similarly themed sites.  What will be the attraction to users?  Why would I join www.wehow.com instead of his main site www.ehow.com which has more content?

[/quote]

Good question. And it might also dilute the existing social networking / web content customer base--places like MySpace, Digg, etc.