TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Spelling, conversation skills decline as Internet use grows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:The modern wired family is seeing a few mainstays going the way of the dinosaur: landlines, printed dictionaries, maps, newspapers and, of course, the need to remember phone numbers or learn to spell.

That's according to a broad new national study, called "The Digital Family," released this week by the No. 1 cable network Nickelodeon. The findings are among the first examinations of technology usage in the home, and they're part of a wider effort among U.S. researchers to understand how rapidly advancing technology is changing the family structure, as well as the way kids communicate and are educated and entertained...

full article: http://news.com.com/2009-1025_3-6153574.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
Pick one: Technology the Great Stupefier or Technology the Scapegoat (because Johnny 100 IQ was born stupid).  Toothy9 :twistedevil:
And it drives me crazy EVERY day I use the internet.

But then, Mary Russell and I can make cash correcting websites and paperwork. Heh heh.
[quote author=thentavius link=topic=6840.msg41375#msg41375 date=1169866135]

But then, Mary Russell and I can make cash correcting websites and paperwork. Heh heh.
[/quote]

My pet peeve since I'm a math geek (B.S., MS, Ph.D.) is the loss of math skills which I feel is partly caused by the use of calculators in classrooms. I'd like to see them banned.  Smile  but not everyone shares my belief .  Wikipedia has an article that presents both sides views: Calculators in the Classroom

I hear you, regic. I've seen people who can't do basic math with a few dollars...  >Sad
The spelling is a pet peeve for me. Lately, it has really gotten on my nerves.  Tongue2

Forum users who can't spell are bad enough.  Tongue1  But bloggers who are highly ranked and can not finish a friggin sentence without a mispelling really friggin annoy me!!!!! Tard

However, I do not understand what technology has to do with this issue. You learn to spell in school and from your parents at a very young age. If you can't spell, blame your parents and your IQ or your lack of concern first of all. Technology should not be considered the source of this problem, IMO.

[quote author=regic link=topic=6840.msg41379#msg41379 date=1169867760]
[quote author=thentavius link=topic=6840.msg41375#msg41375 date=1169866135]

[/quote]

My pet peeve since I'm a math geek (B.S., MS, Ph.D.) is the loss of math skills which I feel is partly caused by the use of calculators in classrooms. I'd like to see them banned.  Smile  but not everyone shares my belief .  Wikipedia has an article that presents both sides views: Calculators in the Classroom

[/quote]

I agree, Regic. Calculators should not be used in school until college, IMO. If you can't understand how to perform an equation without the calculator, you have NO math skills.

Btw, I have never been an overachiever in math, but I am not a math idiot either.
[quote author=jezebel link=topic=6840.msg41371#msg41371 date=1169863551]
Pick one: Technology the Great Stupefier or Technology the Scapegoat (because Johnny 100 IQ was born stupid).  Toothy9 :twistedevil:
[/quote]

This one's for you:

http://www.geocities.com/united_fools/

This one's for Regi:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2007/1/25/174426/953
Quote:A society fighting for the rights of fools in America and around the world! We work to eliminate discrimination based on intelligence, merits and ability! To protect your rights, join us!

Happy001 Happy001 Happy001
Quote:However, I do not understand what technology has to do with this issue. You learn to spell in school and from your parents at a very young age. If you can't spell, blame your parents and your IQ or your lack of concern first of all. Technology should not be considered the source of this problem, IMO.

I completely, totally agree.

The internet has just EXPOSED ignorance of the language, like a huge sack of filthy laundry that's been drug across a freeway.

Everyone can see the equivalent of a$$ stripes on your underwear.

Many of these people wouldn't even be writing on a daily basis if the internet hadn't become a household service, so we get to see the point at which their education stopped. I remember reading the 80s that the average television show was geared for 6th grade intellects. I read somewhere else recently (of course, I can't remember where) that today's average tv show is geared for a 4th grade intellect. Wonderful.

The sad thing is--I'm not a "genius" by any means. I'm not even incredibly smart. I just paid attention in school and did what I was supposed to do--and, voila! I can read, write, and do math. Imagine that!
Oh, as a side note--my mother is a terrible speller. I had to correct thousands of mistakes in elementary school (I remember getting picked on for thinking there was a "y" in pumpkin; "punkyin."  :Smile.

I had to re-learn a lot of what I learned from her.
Pages: 1 2